Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here goes. I have a lovely GTV and the missus is 3 months pregnant!!
Every bugger I know is poking fun at me and saying things like "can I get a quote on a people carrier?" ha ha ha!! So am I doomed and will I have to give up what i've spent years dreaming about?
I've considered saving for a 156 GTA but by the time I could afford one the kid'll probably be a teenager anyway. Please someone put an end to my misery and tell me you can survive with this impractical nightmare I might face or will I just have to spend as much time in the summer driving it as possible.....HELP!:(

B

·
0 Posts
;) Tis possible apparently,you can replace the spare wheel with a can of tyre foam and thereby fit prams & the like in the boot.

:confused: Why folk must buy some huge van like vehicle and insist on lugging half of their possessions around with them when a baby arrives is beyond me.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Joe

calm down, calm down!
Take a deep breath - it'll all be ok.

Now, we all know that you can't fit a baby seat in the back - not really, and yes this restricts the usage of your bella.

BUT, all is not lost. You can have a rear facing baby seat in the front, because the beauty of a GTV is that you can switch off the passenger airbag easily. You can fit a pushchair in the back, or maybe even in th boot - especially if you sacrifice the space-saver wheel for a tin of 'get me home only' gunk.

I also have put our elder son (2 year old petrolhead) in the front seat of my car in his next stage seat - he loved it. "Daddy's car's a sports car" he kept saying - bless him.

Anyway; your dilema - you own a Bravo aswell and in my experience this would be perfectly adequate for carting around a small family - and I speak from experience honestly.
Don't feel that you have to buy a eurobox and ditch any semblance of sports car you own just because you have a baby on the way. You can own 'normal' good cars, you just have to think things through a bit more than if you own a big family car.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Good luck with this.
I ended up buying a GT when I really wanted a GTV, but just couldn't really fit the baby in easily. The boot isn't that bad, if you get the right pram, but you won't get anything else in with it (and as I found out babies have lots of stuff...:lol:
We have a Quinny Zap that folds up really small, and we managed to fit it into the boot of a classic mini with ease!
The biggest problem is with the infant carrier, and later with the car seat, it can be done, as long as the passenger seat is really forward, or as said before, use the passenger seat with the airbag switched off.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well we've just sold the Fiat so that's out of the equation. And the car came with the puncture repair kit , not spare wheel so that's all good. And I just have to make sure when shopping for a pram that I take the Alfa with me yes? and likewise with car seat?

·
Registered
462 Posts
That's it!

Make sure you try out the bits and bobs in your car.

It is true, babies do come with a whole load of stuff. However my wife and I only ever took one shoulder rucksack with us when our first baby was born. I suppose its all about routine and preparation.

·
Administrator
23,070 Posts
When we had our first child we had no money and no car.

Believe it or not Katherine had to sleep in a drawer until we could afford a cot.

I have looked at a drawer now and realised it fits perfectly into a GTV boot.

Problem solved.

Paul.

·
Registered
462 Posts
When we had our first child we had no money and no car.

Believe it or not Katherine had to sleep in a drawer until we could afford a cot.

I have looked at a drawer now and realised it fits perfectly into a GTV boot.

Problem solved.

Paul.
Paul, as ever your voice of reason cries out!

Good practical advice for a future parent, and a problem solved to boot!

·
Registered
462 Posts
A problem shared and all that...........

One of the things that impressed me about the GTV was the fact that you can switch the passenger airbag off so easily.

I used to have a golf - you have to take them to VW to get them to switch the airbag off - oh yeah, at cost.
Also my 'ultrasafe' volvo s60 - back to the stealer to switch the passenger airbag off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts