Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
got most of the old bearings pressed out and dropped off a large box of suspension components at the blasty/cleany/coaty place ...

remembered to order some new LCA inner bushes.. (must work out how to remove the old ones ..) and propshaft guibo things .. (££££ How Much ?!?!??! jeeeez) oh, and some braided hoses for brakes and clutch

considering throwing some cash at 27mm torsion bars, lowering springs and uprated arb's while its apart.. tricky decision when one hasnt ever driven a healthy gtv6

need to decide on a colour before it all starts going back together as well

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,381 Posts
Quite a project you have going here, I'll be following it with interest. :cool:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
got the remainder of the bushes pressed out, received the guibo's and bushes from EB spares..

slow progress atm as im finishing a renault 5 project at the same time.

·
16,381 Posts
got the remainder of the bushes pressed out, received the guibo's and bushes from EB spares..

slow progress atm as im finishing a renault 5 project at the same time.
Drop the Renault and finish the Alfa ! :D

·
16,381 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Hooray, another Herefordshire member ! Look forward to passing you on the road someday...good luck, looks an interesting project.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks ! :)

there's more alfisti round here than you'd think, i know of two other fast road/track day gtv6 rebuilds locally

nice spider btw :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for the kind words :)

will hopefully be able to make some more dramatic progress next week or so.. till then its all fiddly little things as and when i find the time.

have abandoned plans to modify the car too extensively,,... she'll essentially be standard + polybushed + exhaust... naturally everything that looks tired will be refreshed.

Last of the bits off to the powder coater's later today.. and hopefully one of my regular customers (bikes n ****) will be taking away a big box full of nuts bolts and washers and bringing them back all shiny and replated ... which'll be nice.

transaxle is all nice and shiny now... will have to inspect the clutch etc .. imagine it'll be ok given the mileage, but the slave cylinder died years ago ...

is the single plate clutch a genuine upgrade ? if so .. how ? stronger ? better action ? cheaper ?

also..

can anyone confirm exactly what my car (well both of them, they are identical) is ?

on a Y plate, has the later dash and seats (no mesh headrests), single mirror, single colour body (no grey bottom half)

series 2 ? series 3 ?

what other differences over the years were there ?

ta !

·
16,381 Posts
thanks for the kind words :)

will hopefully be able to make some more dramatic progress next week or so.. till then its all fiddly little things as and when i find the time.

have abandoned plans to modify the car too extensively,,... she'll essentially be standard + polybushed + exhaust... naturally everything that looks tired will be refreshed.

Last of the bits off to the powder coater's later today.. and hopefully one of my regular customers (bikes n ****) will be taking away a big box full of nuts bolts and washers and bringing them back all shiny and replated ... which'll be nice.

transaxle is all nice and shiny now... will have to inspect the clutch etc .. imagine it'll be ok given the mileage, but the slave cylinder died years ago ...

is the single plate clutch a genuine upgrade ? if so .. how ? stronger ? better action ? cheaper ?

also..

can anyone confirm exactly what my car (well both of them, they are identical) is ?

on a Y plate, has the later dash and seats (no mesh headrests), single mirror, single colour body (no grey bottom half)

series 2 ? series 3 ?

what other differences over the years were there ?

ta !

:thumbs: Sounds good, progress is being made !

Mine was registered new in August 1982 and yours sounds pretty much the same, I'd guess that its an S2. One big difference was the instrument layout, I think that the S3 had a big Tacho right in front of you and the Speedo in the middle of the car, may have been the other way around.

On mine the Heated Rear Window, Rear Fog and Hazard Flash Switches are located underneath the Dash itself, they almost seem like an afterthought !

Probably lots of little things that are different but apart from what you yourself have mentioned I really don't know.

Here's a pic of my Dash which may help.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for that.. dash looks like mine .. i think (havent spent much time sat in it).. but yours does seem to be a sister car to mine looking at your pics, so i'll go with it being an S2 for now..

the slow rate of progress can be frustrating at times, but I promised myself i wouldnt rush this.. I've been waiting to drive this car since it was delivered new 27 years ago ... another few months to "do it right" wont hurt.

and that renault's nearly ready for paint... which'll be nice, cos i'll get paid and have some space back !

·
16,381 Posts
thanks for that.. dash looks like mine .. i think (havent spent much time sat in it).. but yours does seem to be a sister car to mine looking at your pics, so i'll go with it being an S2 for now..

the slow rate of progress can be frustrating at times, but I promised myself i wouldnt rush this.. I've been waiting to drive this car since it was delivered new 27 years ago ... another few months to "do it right" wont hurt.

and that renault's nearly ready for paint... which'll be nice, cos i'll get paid and have some space back !
:thumbs:

Yep, get it right and then enjoy it. They give a very Retro driving experience and help to build up your arm muscles, especially when driving around town !

Mine should be going into the bodyshop next month, hopefully for a maximum of eight weeks but who knows........

One thing I can't decide is whether all the plastic trim is supposed to be dark grey, as mine seems to be, or black ?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
As far as im aware the trim is dark grey, at least it is on both of mine. Black trim would look naff on a silver gtv6 IMHO

I was toying with the idea of binning the sill extensions, and painting the front spoiler body colour .. but im not sure it would work with silver.. besides as noted above, ive decided she's too good an example of an unmolested car to go changing things about..

what bodywork does yours need ? much welding or mainly prep and paint ?

Arm muscles ! LOL.... try driving a commer PB across europe.. most brain-frying nerve-wracking and exhausting 42 hours of my life !

never really had a modern car.. actually the gtv6 will be the newest car i've got when its done. Newest car i ever bought was a 1993 LHD fiat tempra 1600 £150 off ebay... ran it for 6 months then drove it to the gambia via the alps/pyrenees/spain/gibralter/morocco/western sahara/mauritania and senegal and left it there.

kinda crashed it en-route.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts