Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This car looks amazing. Anyone want a 1975 Alfetta GT so I can buy a GTV6 :)

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
Something about SA cars I can't trust, motor and mechanicals have been done, what does that mean, a rebuild? New spark plugs? who knows, I like the colour but that interior, what were they thinking.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been looking into the costs of Importing the Alfa . Container is the way to go, I previously imported a 1982 GTV6 RORO and it actually gained holes in the bodywork, the sea air is very unkind to Alfas. The age of the car means 'only' 5% VAT on cost of vehicle + shipping. Container prices vary from £1600-£2100 , plus a bunch of other boring paperwork stuff means the cost of import is close to £3500. Not such a great deal, and a huge risk. Plus there is that interior ...

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have had an offer accepted by the vendor, subject to my Alfetta selling. How can I trust the seller ? I don't want the money to just disappear. I am having difficulty finding an entity in the UK that I can pay, and they will go get the car for me, in a risk-free manor. Does anyone have any ideas?
Hazel

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Hazel
No real ideas, other than as a previous gtv6 owner i recently looked out to renew my love hate relationship with another GTV6... if its from SA the 3.0 would be the one that's desirable. This one looks amazing, dodgy interior excepted, but I wonder why its so competitively priced, there is defo some priced at the extremes, usually on the higher side, for no real reason.. they talk about it being running.... that's a pretty mute point. I've attached a link to Jethro Bonner's link on buying alfas (albeit 105s) from SA.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Try getting hold of the guys from dorsetclassiccars on eBay - Marc knows all the Alfa guys in SA and they were bringing loads of cars in a year or two ago, so might either know the seller or recommend someone to import it for you

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Hazel
No real ideas, other than as a previous gtv6 owner i recently looked out to renew my love hate relationship with another GTV6... if its from SA the 3.0 would be the one that's desirable. This one looks amazing, dodgy interior excepted, but I wonder why its so competitively priced, there is defo some priced at the extremes, usually on the higher side, for no real reason.. they talk about it being running.... that's a pretty mute point. I've attached a link to Jethro Bonner's link on buying alfas (albeit 105s) from SA.
Ok, I watched the video, and now I really don;t want to go near a car from SA. I think that deal is going to be called off. So anyone got a GTV6 for sale?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have had an offer accepted by the vendor, subject to my Alfetta selling. How can I trust the seller ? I don't want the money to just disappear. I am having difficulty finding an entity in the UK that I can pay, and they will go get the car for me, in a risk-free manor. Does anyone have any ideas?
Hazel
Hazel it is a difficult one - where do i start?

I am originally from south Africa and since moving to the UK have brought over several Alfas and Lancias and got my fingers burnt with invoiced work not been done etc and there have been others who have had their fingers burnt with dodgy vendors, poor restoration - that doesn't look like one of the original factory colours - Also SA cars tend not have much in the way of paperwork - the other issue to check is if the car has a current licence disc - some have not licenced their cars for years and if you try export, you need to back pay all the missing years! Roadworthy tests (MOT) are required only on change of ownership so another hurdle. The final "issue is that all cars for export need to have police clearance check and need to be microdotted beforehand. I was fortunate that all my purchases were sourced by SA contacts who handled all the fiddly stuff. where in SA is the car? fell free to PM and I can try guide you further. cheers
stephen

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thankyou Stephen, that is very helpful, I did not know about the licence disc back payment, I did wonder why there was a picture of it in the advert! I went to see another GTV6 today, 2 hours drive from and 2 hours back, in my 1975 Alfetta. It was a real pleasure to drive my Alfetta GT, I had forgotton how wonderful it was to drive, and I now see it is quite unique in its lack of rust!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts