Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I don't suppose anyone knows the max load in watts and amps of the GTV6's cigarette lighter?

I just tried my new ring air compressor to pump the tyres up and it wasn't running properly. I had the engine running too to provide more power. It works on my Alfa 156....

The ring air compressor is 95 watts and uses a max of 10A.

I have also taken a feed off of the cigarette lighter for some other items like the radio and the wing mirror control. However none of these were on when I was opperating the compressor.

Thanks,
Peter

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I would check the pump for a start, it should work, even though I wouldn't recommend running it through the cigarette lighter.

What I did with mine was to just cut the c/lighter attachment off the pump and chuck it in the bin (they never fit properly in any case, wobbling about all over the place, slipping out just when you need them most etc!!) and get 2 crocodile clips from halfords or rocketradio (about 2 quid a pair) or somewhere and crimp or screw these on the wires - that way you can connect it straight to the battery and not worry about melting any wires when you get around to tyre no. 4!:)

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would check the pump for a start, it should work, even though I wouldn't recommend running it through the cigarette lighter.

What I did with mine was to just cut the c/lighter attachment off the pump and chuck it in the bin (they never fit properly in any case, wobbling about all over the place, slipping out just when you need them most etc!!) and get 2 crocodile clips from halfords or rocketradio (about 2 quid a pair) or somewhere and crimp or screw these on the wires - that way you can connect it straight to the battery and not worry about melting any wires when you get around to tyre no. 4!:)

Hi mate, well it did work when I tested it straight afterwards in my Alfa 156. I mean we all know the electrics on older Alfa's were rather poor (I am being VERY polite there) so my first thoughts were they were too many amps being drawn. Sometimes I find if I put the windows up, the CD changer cuts out and then comes back after 3 seconds as the initial requirement of amps zaps all the electrics. To combat this I uprated the alternator to 85 amps from 65amps.... it made NO DIFFERENCE!

I take your point on the crocodile clips, but I think in the meantime I'll use my powerpack to power the pump. If I cut the ciggy lighter off and it blows up in a month or so they'll never except it back if I have cut the cables.

Peter

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,340 Posts
Peter, IIRC the Cig Lighter, along with other things, is supplied by a 16 Amp Fuse which implies that it can provide about 190 Watts......

The bigger Alternator you have may help things along when you are using lots of 'leccy on a cold dark night when you have lots of things switched on at the same time but would not really affect the problem you have.

I would check that the Battery isn't on the way out, a dodgy Cell could certainly give the symptoms you describe, even when the Engine is running. Might also be worth checking that the Charging System is working well too, despite the newish Alternator.

These small Compressors are not very long lasting or reliable, I've gone through three in the last seven years.

Have fun !

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Peter, IIRC the Cig Lighter, along with other things, is supplied by a 16 Amp Fuse which implies that it can provide about 190 Watts......

The bigger Alternator you have may help things along when you are using lots of 'leccy on a cold dark night when you have lots of things switched on at the same time but would not really affect the problem you have.

I would check that the Battery isn't on the way out, a dodgy Cell could certainly give the symptoms you describe, even when the Engine is running. Might also be worth checking that the Charging System is working well too, despite the newish Alternator.

These small Compressors are not very long lasting or reliable, I've gone through three in the last seven years.

Have fun !
Nige you old sod, how are you? All good I hope.

Your right those compressors arn't great, but the one I have got seems the best of the bunch. As I said in the other post I can always use my power pack to power the compressor so its not a disaster by any means but still worying/annoying.

The battery in my 6 is 3 years old now, but I do have a solar trickle charge system on the go when she's parked in the garage. I do have my new £3 battery gravity tester... maybe this is moment to test it out! I'll have to check the fuse in my ciggy lighter, maybe its not the right rating. I have the old type bullet type fuse box, not the later blade versions like my 156. They are pretty poor quality connection wise.
I check these bits at the weekend, mind you I have some work to do on my 156 too so not sure which gets the attention first!!

Thanks,
Peter

·
16,340 Posts
Nige you old sod, how are you? All good I hope.

Your right those compressors arn't great, but the one I have got seems the best of the bunch. As I said in the other post I can always use my power pack to power the compressor so its not a disaster by any means but still worying/annoying.

The battery in my 6 is 3 years old now, but I do have a solar trickle charge system on the go when she's parked in the garage. I do have my new £3 battery gravity tester... maybe this is moment to test it out! I'll have to check the fuse in my ciggy lighter, maybe its not the right rating. I have the old type bullet type fuse box, not the later blade versions like my 156. They are pretty poor quality connection wise.
I check these bits at the weekend, mind you I have some work to do on my 156 too so not sure which gets the attention first!!

Thanks,
Peter

Hi Peter, all well here. Going out in a bit and wanted to take the '6 but it's blowing quite hard here and I really don't fancy any more Para Sailing with the Car Cover, had enough of that last week ! :eek: Looks like the TS has a trip out.

Anyway.

Solar Chargers. I have one on the TS and I regard it a bit like Anti Elephant Powder - never seen an Elephant around here so it must be working......... I know it gives out a very small charge but whether or not it does much good I'm not really sure.

Yep test the Battery HG and if you can also get a Heavy Discharge Test done at a local Battery place. Needless to say you have already checked that the Battery connections and Earth are all clean and tight..... Beware of your cheap HG Tester though, my cheapo was very inaccurate, it lied like a cheap Japanese Seiko and it ended up in the only storage location that I deemed suitable - the Bin.

A quick check on the Charging System. Measure and note the Battery Voltage with the Engine not running. Start the Engine and measure again, this reading should be about two Volts higher than the previous one. If this all seems good leave the Engine running and the Voltmeter connected and start switching things on, the Voltage, ideally, should never drop below the " Engine Off " reading but on old Alfas with lots of things turned on it might.

If you also check across the Battery Terminals and then check with the Meter connected to the + VE Terminal and the -VE connected to the Car body the reading should be the same. If the Voltage is higher when connected across the Battery Terminals but lower when connected to the Positive Battery Terminal and the Car Body then this would suggest an Earth problem.

The Battery Volts with the Engine not running should be at LEAST 12 Volts. My gut feeling is that you have a failing Battery.

I tend to ration things, i.e., never have the HRW on whilst the Heater Fan is running etc. One day I must test this to see if I'm just being paranoid but I suspect I'm not, most of the 'suds I've owned couldn't hack full Loads, the Charge Light used to glow dimly when I asked too much of the Alternator/Battery.

The Ceramic Fuses are a pain in the proverbial, problems are caused by corrosion/tarnish on the Fuse Box Holders and on the ends of the Fuses. Occasionally I check these and squeeze the Fuse Holders closer together and clean up the contact area on both the Box and the Fuse.

The incorrect rating of a Fuse will not cause the problem you have, if it is too low it will " blow, " if it's too high it will not blow when it should and so not protect the wiring which is what it is really there for.

Sorry if this is teaching granny to suck eggs, it's down to age you know ! :eek:

I have work to do on the TS too, replacement of Spring Pans is required. Was painting them yesterday and the Hammerite took ageeeeeeees to dry, I think that the Temp in the Garage was below the supposed minimum but can't say I noticed it being cold. As the saying goes, " No sense, no feeling. "

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Peter, all well here. Going out in a bit and wanted to take the '6 but it's blowing quite hard here and I really don't fancy any more Para Sailing with the Car Cover, had enough of that last week ! :eek: Looks like the TS has a trip out.

Anyway.

Solar Chargers. I have one on the TS and I regard it a bit like Anti Elephant Powder - never seen an Elephant around here so it must be working......... I know it gives out a very small charge but whether or not it does much good I'm not really sure.

Yep test the Battery HG and if you can also get a Heavy Discharge Test done at a local Battery place. Needless to say you have already checked that the Battery connections and Earth are all clean and tight..... Beware of your cheap HG Tester though, my cheapo was very inaccurate, it lied like a cheap Japanese Seiko and it ended up in the only storage location that I deemed suitable - the Bin.

A quick check on the Charging System. Measure and note the Battery Voltage with the Engine not running. Start the Engine and measure again, this reading should be about two Volts higher than the previous one. If this all seems good leave the Engine running and the Voltmeter connected and start switching things on, the Voltage, ideally, should never drop below the " Engine Off " reading but on old Alfas with lots of things turned on it might.

If you also check across the Battery Terminals and then check with the Meter connected to the + VE Terminal and the -VE connected to the Car body the reading should be the same. If the Voltage is higher when connected across the Battery Terminals but lower when connected to the Positive Battery Terminal and the Car Body then this would suggest an Earth problem.

The Battery Volts with the Engine not running should be at LEAST 12 Volts. My gut feeling is that you have a failing Battery.

I tend to ration things, i.e., never have the HRW on whilst the Heater Fan is running etc. One day I must test this to see if I'm just being paranoid but I suspect I'm not, most of the 'suds I've owned couldn't hack full Loads, the Charge Light used to glow dimly when I asked too much of the Alternator/Battery.

The Ceramic Fuses are a pain in the proverbial, problems are caused by corrosion/tarnish on the Fuse Box Holders and on the ends of the Fuses. Occasionally I check these and squeeze the Fuse Holders closer together and clean up the contact area on both the Box and the Fuse.

The incorrect rating of a Fuse will not cause the problem you have, if it is too low it will " blow, " if it's too high it will not blow when it should and so not protect the wiring which is what it is really there for.

Sorry if this is teaching granny to suck eggs, it's down to age you know ! :eek:

I have work to do on the TS too, replacement of Spring Pans is required. Was painting them yesterday and the Hammerite took ageeeeeeees to dry, I think that the Temp in the Garage was below the supposed minimum but can't say I noticed it being cold. As the saying goes, " No sense, no feeling. "
Wow thats very indepth Nige for this early on a Thursday! Btw hammerite is now not meant to be used below 10c, the old formula was 8c, I found it goes very tacky otherwise and makes a right mess!!

Your not teaching granny to suck eggs, your teaching me a few things. I understand the basics and few complicated bits but sometimes the simple things need to be refreshed. Logically you are right, simple voltage drop problem, if the battery isn't maintaining the voltage then the solar thing might be just hiding the issue.

The voltage drop issue for me is highlighted when I use the windows and sometimes the cd changer drops out, it instantly comes back but its a factor.

If i remember the old alternator and new alternator didn't give me up difference in output. I was hoping for about 14.5V, if I remember I only got about 13 odd. Anyway now you have got me curious I'll have a look tomorrow after work if i have a chance! Thanks

·
16,340 Posts
Wow thats very indepth Nige for this early on a Thursday! Btw hammerite is now not meant to be used below 10c, the old formula was 8c, I found it goes very tacky otherwise and makes a right mess!!

Your not teaching granny to suck eggs, your teaching me a few things. I understand the basics and few complicated bits but sometimes the simple things need to be refreshed. Logically you are right, simple voltage drop problem, if the battery isn't maintaining the voltage then the solar thing might be just hiding the issue.

The voltage drop issue for me is highlighted when I use the windows and sometimes the cd changer drops out, it instantly comes back but its a factor.

If i remember the old alternator and new alternator didn't give me up difference in output. I was hoping for about 14.5V, if I remember I only got about 13 odd. Anyway now you have got me curious I'll have a look tomorrow after work if i have a chance! Thanks

You're right about the Hammerite, just put a second coat on and it 'aint looking good. Still, as long as it dries it'll do.

Your Alternator seems a bit odd, would expect about 14 Volts with no load. Can't remember what mine gives out as it's a long time since I looked but I think it must have been about or over 14 Volts otherwise I'd have been concerned. Mine was rebuilt by a friend who's an old school auto 'leccie, doubt if he'd have been happy if it was less.

Anyway good luck with tracing the problem, take a good hard look at the Battery. Let us know what you find. :thumbs:

·
Registered
454 Posts
Just another thought on this subject.
When I was preparing my 116 series Giulietta for the trip to Italy for the Centenary, I checked out the cigarette lighter for the first time, as it was required to power the Sat Nav.
Didn't seem to be able to get it to power anything!?
Stripped the dash and checked that there was power to the terminals on the back of it and there was.
Strange I thought. So I got a good earth and stuck the meter probe down the cigarette lighter barrel and got 12V. Even stranger.
Tried various devices but still no joy.
Turns out the cigarette lighter on my car has a very long barrel. The cigarette lighter itself works (didn't think to try that to start with) but no plugs extend far enough down to make contact. When I had a look at the lighter part, it does seem to be very long.
In the end I added a 3 outlet extension unit under the passenger side dash and discretely wired it of the back of the cigarette lighter.
It's just possible you have an odd lighter as well, which is only just making contact.

PS Happy new year Nige. How's tricks?

·
16,340 Posts
Just another thought on this subject.
When I was preparing my 116 series Giulietta for the trip to Italy for the Centenary, I checked out the cigarette lighter for the first time, as it was required to power the Sat Nav.
Didn't seem to be able to get it to power anything!?
Stripped the dash and checked that there was power to the terminals on the back of it and there was.
Strange I thought. So I got a good earth and stuck the meter probe down the cigarette lighter barrel and got 12V. Even stranger.
Tried various devices but still no joy.
Turns out the cigarette lighter on my car has a very long barrel. The cigarette lighter itself works (didn't think to try that to start with) but no plugs extend far enough down to make contact. When I had a look at the lighter part, it does seem to be very long.
In the end I added a 3 outlet extension unit under the passenger side dash and discretely wired it of the back of the cigarette lighter.
It's just possible you have an odd lighter as well, which is only just making contact.

PS Happy new year Nige. How's tricks?

Hi David. And to you too. :thumbs: Things are fine, how is it all going with you ? Weather here is cold and frosty which is a problem for our Meet tomorrow. Do I take the '6 or not ? Depends on LCC ( Lincolnshire Comedy Clowns, ) have they gritted or not ? :confused: :lol:

Guess what's on eBay right now, ending very soon. A GTV Electronic Speedo Sender ! Rare as hens teeth and currently at about £20 with three bids and about three hours to go. Was thinking about having a go at this but as I now have two I'll let some other poor soul who may be more in need of it than me to get it. The guy who was asking about the one you sent me ( which makes a GTV6 a 250mph car, apparently ! ) never got back to me so I still have that one too.

Re the Cig Lighters. I have had the same problem as you with the " Plugs " on both the '6 and the TS. Maybe it's common to all Alfas or do the Plugs on these mostly Taiwanese " wonder " accessories vary ? I don't know.

I have resolved this by either putting a big blob of Solder on to the centre Pin of the Plug and also pulling the Springs out on the side of the Plug to make a snug fit or in extreme cases cut off the Plug from the Device and replaced it with one that does fit correctly into the Holder.

Not sure that this is Peters problem but well worth a check, as you suggest it is possible that an " only just " connection here could cause it.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Morning all,

Just to say I haven't forgotten the post... I have had the lergy for most of this week and last weekend I spent mostly fixing my 156! I am aiming to do somethings on the 6 this weekend if I can.

With regards the length of the ciggy barrel... it is very long but it does appear in my case to make a connection. Much better than that on my 156 of which it isn't long enough and it keeps popping out!!!

Peter

·
16,340 Posts

·
16,340 Posts
:cheese: yeah 1960's was a fair while ago now though Nige!!!! :D
:lol: Tell me about it !

Those were the days although I have to say that the " Swinging Sixties " never really reached South Yorkshire ! :cry:

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:lol: Tell me about it !

Those were the days although I have to say that the " Swinging Sixties " never really reached South Yorkshire ! :cry:
Well theres still time... mind you there is not much room in the back of the '6!

I have banned any of that activity in my car though as it might damage it, oh and being single also is a limiting factor!

·
16,340 Posts
Well theres still time... mind you there is not much room in the back of the '6!

I have banned any of that activity in my car though as it might damage it, oh and being single also is a limiting factor!
:lol:

Well I'm also single once again and can't be bothered to do anything about it !

Quite right too about the possible damage, to both Bodies and Interiors ! :D

Just finished painting the Spring Pans for the TS and so the next job is............ I'm so glad that I have a friend who has access to a four Post Lift. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts