Beautiful noise! Whether 116 or 916, Gtv rules!:thumbs:

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Nice

·
Registered
655 Posts
This is James car which he joined us at the Goodwood track day two weeks ago . Sounds even better on the track . As its a 12v it has kept that beautiful whine on the straights .
Next year I will record some good footage as their should be atleast four 3.5 GTV and a few 3.0 going to Cadwell Park . That's a full blown orchestra !

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any idea what kind of power those 3.5 12v's push, Kevin?

·
Registered
655 Posts
These engines produce 260flywheel BHP and 270lft at 1800rpm .you could get more power easily if only you could get the head to flow more . At 5500 on dyno its game over even with c&b cams . Cost to build these here including mapping , omex , installation and supplying a 75 3.0 12v to start off is close on £15000 and that's really pricy here . My 2013 2.0 Giulietta sells for that now in comparison . Make no mistake these engines are really done well and reliable .
Multiply £15000 by 18 for rand conversion and that will make your eyes water not that you will ever find a 75 motor in SA .
My 3.7 24v which Dawie did sub assembly and domi did the (Gotech)Powermods cost about R45 000 back in 2006 and its still bullet proof and normal oil usage . Again huge progress has been made by both Dawie with the Wossner pistons, etc and domi with his new Powemods . Now if you ever looking for one great reason to be in SA that's it and all the cheap race track entries .

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK. 3.7 is definitely the better bet for power and pocket then :).

·
Registered
655 Posts
If you going the big bore route that is ! Supercharging kits here are great value but purists don't want the busso sound to be ruined . I heard a 75 3.0 supercharged few months back - it was awesome . Send me your email adresss in pvt and I have some pics of a 24v supercharged in a Zagato .

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
OK. 3.7 is definitely the better bet for power and pocket then :).
In 2009 Dawie qouted me R60k for a 3.7. For half of that I could have more power with a turbo, like Hennie's reliable 3.2 GTV proved with 330whp. Only the clutch need replacement so far.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah. Corrie, I also think turbo is tops for hp:rand. As soon as I've finished the 105 GTV's body resto, I'm going to speak to the Turbonutters team about a turbo for the 916. Does it retain the sound though? I wouldn't mind a 116 GTV6 to restore over time, though.

·
Registered
655 Posts
As I said earlier its a purists thing not going for forced induction on the busso . I just love the sound going NA even though its pricy , also the way it delivers the power into the 116 drivetrain . I did have a twin turbo in my old 116 GTV which was frighteningly strong . I nearly lost it on a damp Louis Botha when I came into boost in third - suddenly got huge respect going TT had on 205/50/15 's . Shortly after that I broke the pinion on Rivonia rd after thrashing an M3 . The torque was just to much . I found some pics of that set up a few days ago . Domingoes bought that TT motor for his drag car and set some really good 1/4 mile times . ( front mount box in late 90's) . That GTV of mine was beautifully restored with 24 v motor and all the trick bits and is owned by fellow AO . We can all agree that value for money boost is way to go but its personal thing spending extra hard earned cash by keeping the engine bay looking the same with NA and off course my personal gripe is getting rid of all that heat on TT - which now with all the products on market is no problem.

Found a link for both sounds of 2.8TT and my GTV 3.7 at Midvaal . Its very brief . Dam those were fun days .
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dCVcQh3DEA0

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Does it retain the sound though? I wouldn't mind a 116 GTV6 to restore over time, though.
No El the turbine sit in the exhaust, but in my opinion it still sound good, but I'm not a purist.

That said my NA GTV sound "normal" up to 4000rpm, then sound becomes a snarl at full throttle, not to everyone liking.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That NA 12v sound, though. Spine-tingling. I love the GTV6's styling. Definitely on my bucket list. Hopefully you'll be back in SA to help me with custom parts for a 24v setup in a couple of years time, Kevin.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yeah. Corrie, I also think turbo is tops for hp:rand. As soon as I've finished the 105 GTV's body resto, I'm going to speak to the Turbonutters team about a turbo for the 916.
Wouldn't mind doing the same El. Thinking about this too much lately.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wonder if they have a bolt-on kit. That would be awesome.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, Corrie. You guys are fortunate to have all the development up there.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Thanks, Corrie. You guys are fortunate to have all the development up there.
Is there nobody in ct that we could go to for something similar? Even just good advice is hard to come by. I wouldn't do any kind of turbo conversion on the Gtv without a good endorsement from you guys.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Its safer to send car up to GP as you don't want to destroy a new turbo motor with some one who does not no how to map it and is not sympathetic to new builds .
Corrie are you using a piggy back on the 916 turbo conversion ie DASTEK .

1 - 20 of 25 Posts