Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

New to this forum, and the first thing i'm asking for is help!!

I have just purchased my first alfa, a W reg 2.0 GTV, and I love it!

However, it has one slight problem, which is annoying me so I want to get it sorted! Ahen you are driving, there is a high pitched whining noise, mainly when you are accelarating. To begin with i thought it was just a bearing on a pulley somewhere along the line, so i wasn't really that worried by it.

however, if you rest your foot gently on the clutch while driving, it gets worse straight away. I know next to nothing about this car yet so I will appreciate any help and advice you can give me, however I am not very skilled mechanically (although I will give anything a go once!!!)

Thanks guys

Ben

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Clutch thrust / release bearing seems most likely. I had exactly the same problem with mine earlier this year. Whirring noise which increased with speed and loud when engaging the clutch.

Clutch kit fitted was £435 but I got it pretty cheap. You should be able to do it for under £500.

·
Registered
38,271 Posts
I agree with what the others say. If the noise gets worse when the clutch pedal is pressed it is likely to be the release bearing.

If the noise were to stop when the clutch was pressed it would point to a bearing in the gearbox somewhere, possibly on the input shaft.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I've got nothing to add re: possible diagnosis, but wanted to state something which I hope is fairly obvious to most people - don't rest your foot on the clutch (even oh-so-lightly) when you're driving!

And I realise Harrisonb only did it to diagnose a problem :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts