Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have a problem with their GTV screen washers? Despite taking the wiper off and clearing the jets, mine keep clogging up. Are there any decent flushes I could add to the tank?

Also, my steering wheel makes a squeeking/ groaning sound when turning. I have tried WD40 in it but didnt make any difference.

My windows also make a hell of a squeek when going up and down. Anyone else have this?

Cheers!

·
Registered
578 Posts
I think there is no problem with your jets; if u can hear the pumping sound and no water coming from wipers, there is a plastic part that seperates the hose coming from the water tank to 2 hoses for the left and right wiper... that plastic sometimes can be broken like mine did... :) and water leaks from there so u can not see any water coming from the wipers... My steering wheel makes a squeeking at one point all the time but i havent had any time to tamper it...
i used silicone spray for the windows and they work fine but i think my spiders windows makes more noise than 156's....

·
Registered
953 Posts
My steering is always quite noisy, but it only squeaks when on full lock so if I can avoid using full lock I will, as the sound sends shivers through me. I also have the window problem although haven't been bothered to fix it. You've probably noticed they don't make a noise in the rain, so it's obviously a lubricating problem. Will try using silicone spray...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Might be stating the obvious, but have you checked the power steering fluid?? My steering got progressively worst until it sounded like mice were fighting under my bonnet. Checked and power steering fluid really low. Topped up and now as good as gold. :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
My steering wheel makes a noise, but only on hot days.As Spider_Volkan said for the washers but also keep plenty of screen wash in your water, it will break down any dirt.As for the windows i often spray silicone on the rubbers and down the side of the window to keep everything running smooth.In the winter i quite often lube the locks and ariel spray grease the rear bushes, lube up all the door and window rubbers and all hinges.The salty cr*p they put on the roads gets everywhere and causes all sorts of problems:)

·
Registered
114 Posts
My steering wheel makes a noise, but only on hot days.As Spider_Volkan said for the washers but also keep plenty of screen wash in your water, it will break down any dirt.As for the windows i often spray silicone on the rubbers and down the side of the window to keep everything running smooth.In the winter i quite often lube the locks and ariel spray grease the rear bushes, lube up all the door and window rubbers and all hinges.The salty cr*p they put on the roads gets everywhere and causes all sorts of problems:)
Top tips there :thumbs:

Saves me writing them out :)

It's a biker thing, lube everything, and the bike stays in one piece (hopefully it works on cars too :D)

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I removed my washer bars from the wipers last weekend and soaked them in descaler, then gave each of the 5 holes a good probe with a pin. (I only thought there wear 3 until I forced water throught using a BIG syringe)

I now have a veritable niagra falls!

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
It's a biker thing, lube everything, and the bike stays in one piece (hopefully it works on cars too :D)
It's an engineer thing! It works on any machine. Adjust then lubricate - solves 90% of all problems! It's amazing how many problems I've solved with a pencil - pencil 'lead' is actually graphite, a good lubricant.

One of our neighbours in our first house had no end of trouble with his garage door - he couldn't close it without slamming it. Over a period of a year or so the slamming got harder & harder until it got to the point where the (steel) door started to split! He ended up having to replace the door. Me? Just gently lower door & the locking tongue clicked into place!

Same neighbour bough a brand new Honda Superdream. After it came back from its first service he decided he wasn't happy with the idle speed so he tinkered with the carbs; then the bike wouldn't start. So, instead of just readjusting the carbs, he fiddled with the timing; of course, it still wouldn't start.

This went on for about two months before he had to swallow his pride & get the dealer to pick it up & sort it. Every night he'd be out in his garage messing with it & trying to start it until the battery ran flat, then it was battery on charge so that it was ready for the next day's effort. This happened in summer - the first question people were asking when they came back from their holidays was: 'Has Derek started the bike?'

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys.

I will try soaking the wiper washer bar in descaler thanks for the tip. I thought there were only 3 pins as well!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guys,

For info, on the windscreen washers it turns out that the problem was a clogged filter atatched to the tank. Cleaned it out and I have turbojets now!

·
Registered
192 Posts
You will find that using too much screenwash will cause them to clog, resulting in a pretty rubbish amount of water. Always worth just checking when doing the oil :)

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Guys,

For info, on the windscreen washers it turns out that the problem was a clogged filter atatched to the tank. Cleaned it out and I have turbojets now!
mine was caked in a huge amount of algae - not nice! Cleaned it all having removed the filter from the pump and found out what the jets are meant to be like.. :wow:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi
I had the same problem despite trying a different pump really poor output at the wipers. Finally traced it to a spilt in the pipe under the plastic cover in front of the windscreen before it reached the jets. New pipe fitted and water flys out now where should be on the screen!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've got the squeeky steering wheel thing, squeeking seems to be coming from inside the steering wheel/column - also when i turn right and back to centre. Any ideas??

·
Registered
252 Posts
My steering wheel squeaked, a touch of pledge sprayed behind the wheel and the column, and a clean with a cloth sorted it out!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I think there is no problem with your jets; if u can hear the pumping sound and no water coming from wipers, there is a plastic part that seperates the hose coming from the water tank to 2 hoses for the left and right wiper... that plastic sometimes can be broken like mine did... :) and water leaks from there so u can not see any water coming from the wipers... My steering wheel makes a squeeking at one point all the time but i havent had any time to tamper it...
i used silicone spray for the windows and they work fine but i think my spiders windows makes more noise than 156's....
what silicone spray so you recommend. is it just basically any silicone spray like wd-40 type thing?

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,432 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts