Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at picking up the GTV below, I have a ZS 180 at the moment and as much as it brings a smile to my face and is cracking car despite what people say I am a little worried about the alfa, looks good, had all the work done...

What do you guys think?

For sale is my cherished Alfa GTV with private registration. I have owned this car for 9 months and within this time I have replaced all the usual GTV parts prone to wear, whether required or not. This includes; rear shocks, rear pan arms, all rear rubbers and bushes, front shocks, front lower arm suspension assemblies, front anti-roll bar links, full standard induction system, new radiator, bonnet stays and tyres all round which have covered 1200 miles. Recently serviced including plugs. Timing belt was replaced at 85000 miles and has been checked. I have £2500 of receipts for parts alone. Genuine reason for sale. Can send more pictures if required. Reduced to clear as i already have new car.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I personally would genuinely take a GTV with problems over a Rover everyday.

Just do your homework and buy the best one you can afford.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have owned the MG ZS but only on the 120 saloon so I would agree that they do handle fairly well and bring smiles per mile (bit dull on the inside though), and I also have the MG ZTT on the 2.5 engine and an Alfa GTV 2.0ts at present.

I would tend to say stick with what you have for a little longer. Had it 9months and wants to sell would concern me. Might be worth looking about a bit and trying a few others out first before settling on your final choice.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
What was it that Clarkson said about Rovers, and what did he say about ALFA's?, ...just escapes me now....I know!!!, he said "you'll never be a true petrol head until you have owned a Rover"...funny i seem to remember it having more of a ring to it than that:confused::).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Indeed, not very nice to look at, The alfa seems to have everything up to date?

The ZS180 is fun but doing 400/500 miles a week now and is costing me a small fortune...

last week £105..

Looking for something with a little style and better fuel econmy

I have owned the MG ZS but only on the 120 saloon so I would agree that they do handle fairly well and bring smiles per mile (bit dull on the inside though), and I also have the MG ZTT on the 2.5 engine and an Alfa GTV 2.0ts at present.

I would tend to say stick with what you have for a little longer. Had it 9months and wants to sell would concern me. Might be worth looking about a bit and trying a few others out first before settling on your final choice.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
What miles has the cambelt done, were the balance shaft belts done at the same time? (if not they can snap and take out the cambelt), cambelt needs replacing at 36k and its a 400 ish quid job with the variator, if the above checks out then it looks good to me, how much is it?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cam changed at 86K not a clue about the variator? now at 99k, asking £1500 quick sale.

Never owned an alfa, always had jap, 3x200sx, 2x scoob, 4xcelica, and 2x astra 2.2SRI to name a few

What miles has the cambelt done, were the balance shaft belts done at the same time? (if not they can snap and take out the cambelt), cambelt needs replacing at 36k and its a 400 ish quid job with the variator, if the above checks out then it looks good to me, how much is it?

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Cam changed at 86K not a clue about the variator? now at 99k, asking £1500 quick sale.

Never owned an alfa, always had jap, 3x200sx, 2x scoob, 4xcelica, and 2x astra 2.2SRI to name a few
Considering all the work that has been done the price is good, the re-bushing of the rear end is 400 quid alone, i would be surprised if the ballance belts hadnt been replaced at the same time as the cam belt but you should ask him, im not sure how big a job it is to do them, (ie if it involves the same amount of work as the cam belt then its a big hit), needs a chrome grill in the front but they are only 35 quid, they are great to drive, beautifully ballanced, very precise, makes my 944 feel like a tractor, because of all the work that has been done i would say just buy it, if you test drive it im sure you will:) not great on economy though, 30mpg and ur doing well, much less on short journeys.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers for that, I will ask him tomorrow, think it will beat the V6 economy? arounf 23 -28mpg, stressed or having a bad day, around 17mpg..

Should of added a poll...

The only reason I like this one is it seems to have ticked all the boxes for work carried out

Considering all the work that has been done the price is good, the re-bushing of the rear end is 400 quid alone, i would be surprised if the ballance belts hadnt been replaced at the same time as the cam belt but you should ask him, im not sure how big a job it is to do them, (ie if it involves the same amount of work as the cam belt then its a big hit), needs a chrome grill in the front but they are only 35 quid, they are great to drive, beautifully ballanced, very precise, makes my 944 feel like a tractor, because of all the work that has been done i would say just buy it, if you test drive it im sure you will:) not great on economy though, 30mpg and ur doing well, much less on short journeys.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Cheers for that, I will ask him tomorrow, think it will beat the V6 economy? arounf 23 -28mpg, stressed or having a bad day, around 17mpg..

Should of added a poll...

The only reason I like this one is it seems to have ticked all the boxes for work carried out
Totally agree, all of the things hes done are exactly what you will have to do to another one,..... just one thing though, please dont mention the "R" word again :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
R as in MG?

Worth a shot I think, I'll go have a look tomorrow.

Totally agree, all of the things hes done are exactly what you will have to do to another one,..... just one thing though, please dont mention the "R" word again :)

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,382 Posts

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,382 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts