Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, yesterday was the first time I've ever felt the need to really connect to the engine ECU, because I had some strange problems with the idle and I wanted to check the fault codes.

I did manage to get connected using the three pin adapter to VAG KKL and MES (v3.2), found some faults, managed to sort things out and clear the errors. Worked like a dream.

Now, the car in question is a '95 GTV V6 turbo (phase 1), so it has all the old stuff in it - the airbag ECU being one of them. For example, I am aware that you can't connect to a Becker unit with MES, only TRW.

But what bothers me is that while fiddling around with it, I found that I can't connect to the ABS unit either. So I'm thinking the ABS unit is somewhat of an older type than what they began to install in '96 and later. While connecting to the ABS ECU it says "Invalid ISO code" and disconnects.

Moreover, the engine ECU doesn't show all the fine stuff, such as an odometer reading (so I can verify it is what the instrument panel shows). I did however notice that when you use MES to check the engine ECU of e.g. a GTV 2.0 TS, it does show an odometer parameter (in simulate mode).

So my question for owners of a turbo (preferably this old) is: what do you use for diagnostics?

tl;dr I can't connect to the ABS or airbag module, and the engine ECU gives scarce info, leaves me craving for more (I love to check stuff). What can I do to check more stuff out?

·
Registered
GTV, '96, 2.0V6 TB
108 Posts
The V6 TB has two ECU to run the engine. My mechanic describes it thus: The Motronic ML4.1 controls most of the fuel and some of the spark and Motronic EZ212K controls most of the spark and some of the fuel. And, they do this over an early 90's serial connection. He says they don't have time to be listening for speedometer signals and interpreting them for an odometer reading. There is a speedo feed to ML4.1 though and I don't know why else it would be needed.

I used multiecuscan and saw the same limited engine data as you. I have never tried to connect to the ABS unit.

Not a lot of use I'm afraid, sorry.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts