Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I have this annoying problem with my GTV V6, sometime when I try to start the engine the engine turns but it desn't start.
We checked the ECU faults and we found the following errors:

P0335 RPM Sensor
U1600 Electronic Key

Any idea what these mean?
Thank you

·
Registered
692 Posts
Is the yellow key symbol lit when you have this problem? if so the car is having trouble communicating with the chip in the key. Usually down to the antenna near the barrel. Try a different key and/or moving the steering column up and down.

·
Registered
'98 GTV V6
1,299 Posts
Hi All,
I have this annoying problem with my GTV V6, sometime when I try to start the engine the engine turns but it desn't start.
We checked the ECU faults and we found the following errors:

P0335 RPM Sensor
U1600 Electronic Key

Any idea what these mean?
Thank you
I think this would be a starting point to look at first, P0335. Your engine ECU cannot sense engine RPM, that's what I'm thinking. What year is your Busso?

Reactions: alexGS

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,

Is the yellow key symbol lit when you have this problem? if so the car is having trouble communicating with the chip in the key. Usually down to the antenna near the barrel. Try a different key and/or moving the steering column up and down.
The yellow key always goes off after 2-3 seconds. Always!
Even some times the engine may start with the yellow key on (if I turn the key very quick).
Still I am not sure if I can rule out the immobiliser possibility in this case

I think this would be a starting point to look at first, P0335. Your engine ECU cannot sense engine RPM, that's what I'm thinking. What year is your Busso?
It's a 2000 model. Phase 2 3.0 24V

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
RPM sensor (crank angle sensor) fault code is one of those "count yourself lucky" situations - if you see it, it means you are only days or hours away from total failure, and you were lucky to get advance warning :)

We see this on 156s and Stilos - sometimes - more usually the engine won't start at all or will start only after it has cooled down.

Often, a fault like this will delay the response of the engine ECU and cause other ECUs to report faults. The Stilo instrument panel reports "Loose Connection", which really means "lost connection" or "no response from engine ECU".

I know it isn't a Stilo but I'd wager that the immobiliser fault in a 916 is a similar result of the delayed engine ECU response. Get a new crank sensor on there pronto and clear both codes; I reckon it will be fault-free.

-Alex

Reactions: Stixy

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Alex,
Thanks a lot, your comments are very usefull :)
This problem comes and goes for almost 3 months now once or twice a week.
It never happens when the engine is really cold (ex.first start in the morning) a fact which agrees to what you said.
What about the Camshaft position sensor? Is there a small chance the problem is there instead of the crank sensor?
Nikolas

RPM sensor (crank angle sensor) fault code is one of those "count yourself lucky" situations - if you see it, it means you are only days or hours away from total failure, and you were lucky to get advance warning :)

We see this on 156s and Stilos - sometimes - more usually the engine won't start at all or will start only after it has cooled down.

Often, a fault like this will delay the response of the engine ECU and cause other ECUs to report faults. The Stilo instrument panel reports "Loose Connection", which really means "lost connection" or "no response from engine ECU".

I know it isn't a Stilo but I'd wager that the immobiliser fault in a 916 is a similar result of the delayed engine ECU response. Get a new crank sensor on there pronto and clear both codes; I reckon it will be fault-free.

-Alex

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
+1 for the crank sensor

I had a similar problem where the car suddenly stalled and wouldn't start again until it was cooled off a bit.
I also indicated RPM sensor signal missing.
I haven't seen the problem after I replaced the crank sensor.

Alfa Romeo GTV Sensor-Crank

1 - 7 of 7 Posts