Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am newbie round here, and on the look out for my first GTV (having had a 156 previously some years ago). I have a couple of questions about specs that I am hoping the knowledgeable folks gathered here might be able to answer.

I see that some V6 P2's have a 5-speed and some a 6-speed 'box, was this changed in a certain year, or was the 6-speed an optional extra? Is there a general consensuses as to which is better? Q2 diff, was that always just an option, or was that tied to a particular spec as standard at any point? And finally Electric seats, did all the V6's get electric seats or was that tied to a particular spec or as an option?

Thanks for the help,

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
6 speed wasn't an option - superseded the 5 speed around about 1999 but not sure exactly. I recall that the 6 might have been slightly improved mechanically but don't know of problems with the 5. Personally i think the 6 was more a marketing gimmick & to keep up with competitors - 6th is virtually the same ratio as the old 5th and the V6 has loads of torque so doesn't need extra, close ratios. When i first had mine I used to forget which gear i was in!!

Q2 was never a factory option - only ever fitted aftermarket by individual owners. But probably the best modification possible.

Electric seats were an option. Mine doesn't have them and I think the V6s only had one level of spec in UK - Lusso. Except for the Limited edition Cup.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
all PH1 v6 have a 5 speed and some early PH2 have a 5 speed and some have a 6 speed.................. its whatever was around at the time of production in true Alfa style

driven both 5 and 6 top gear in 5th - 6th is very close ratio when doing 80mph its similar revs

·
Vendor
45,470 Posts
Phase 1 V6s were always 5 speed. When they moved to Phase 2, you could either buy a GTV V6 or a GTV V6 "Aero", it was a special minty flavoured limited edition which also gave you 17" teledial wheels, a rear spoiler, a small rubber front splitter and a 6-speed gearbox. The early Phase 2 GTV V6 which wasn't an Aero model got 16" wheels, no spoiler, no front splitter and a 5-speed box.

Quite a lot of them have been chopped & changed about now by owners, and not many of those front under-bumper splitters are left intact either.

Later in the life of the Phase 2 when they moved to the later CF3 3 litre V6 engine the 6-speed box became standard fit and the 5-speed was done away with.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent, thanks for all the responses chaps, most helpful.

Great forum, shall certainly be spending a bit of time here once I have sourced a suitable car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts