Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, been reading this forum in the background for a few days now and i must say its excellent. :cool:

My Problem - Ive had my V6 for a couple of weeks now and ive noticed that it warms up pretty quick, even in very light traffic. Temps go upto 90 and fans kick in. Ive been advised to flush the coolant, can anyone help or am i being paranoid over nothing :confused:

Thanks

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Does the fan kick in even when you're moving freely? If so you have got a problem.

W

·
0 Posts
Sounds fine to me....V6s do tend to run quite hot with respect to warming up quickly (lot of engine in a small space!), so long as the fan is kicking in around 90-92 and it's not overheating all is well.

However, if it does get hotter at tickover even if the fan kicks in check your radiator.

If the temp fluctuates greatly when on the move check the radiator and water pump although the 3.0 has the metal impellor'd pump so should be ok. 2.5 is plastic and causes problems :D

wrinx

·
Registered
890 Posts
Being a V6 it's quite normal for them to come up to 90*C very quickly and then should sit at 90*C for the rest of the drive. There is no problem, unless it's getting up to 100 before the fans kick in.

If you want to flush the coolant anyway:

Youve got a couple of options. You can buy some water system flush in a bottle. Follow the directions, which are usually to pour in contents, run engine, drain contents, re-fill system. I don't think they work spectacularly though.

My prefered method is to turn the interior heat to full, and run the engine, just enough so the temp neadle barely starts to move. Take the rad cap off and drop the bottom radiator hose. Re-fill with fresh water, and repeat 2 or 3 times. you should see some discolouration of the waste water in the first flush or two, and the last one should be quite clean. You can also disconnect the various parts from the thermostat (eg radiator, header tank, block) and flush them individually by running waater from a garden hose straight through them. Sometime, on the final flush, if it's been really mucky, it's good to let the engine get warm enough for the thermostat to open (you can tell when this happens as the pipes to the radiator become hot). You must be carefull though, as at all times, to avoid scolding hot water.

When your satisfied re-fill the system with de-ionised water and the additive of your choice.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does the fan kick in even when you're moving freely? If so you have got a problem.
fans only kick in when stationary and when needle hits 90'C

Temps do not fluctuate, just remain at 90 or below once car gets going

Will try flushing the coolant as well, just wondering, is the rad hose easy to get to and how do i remove a air lock if it occurs?

cheers for your help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts