Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GTV V6 has developed a small oil leak which seems to be coming from the oil cooler's core matrix. I was hoping to find a cheaper solution by using a generic type cooler with an adapter instead of the original one because those seem to be pretty expensive nowadays. And I would like to keep the original pipes and connections as those are still in quite good shape.

I tried searching this information but could not find anything exact regarding the oil cooler connection thread size or type. Someone mentioned that the thread size would be M22x1.5, but it has not been confirmed. Neither was the type of the sealing surface in the connection mentioned. Any pictures, documents etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
332 Posts
I did measure them and I am pretty sure they are m22x1.5. You can then buy an oil cooler with female ends like earl's or setrab and then get AN10 to m22x1.5 adapters. I went this way, but only because I could find a set of decent oil cooler pipes, in the end it only saved me £50 over the autolusso kit.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I had an email chat with Ned at Autolusso the other day and we were joking with each other about the obsolescence of some bits we both have now that he's come up with a workaround for the oil cooler issue. He described the long cooler pipe that I went to great lengths to find as 'an expensive ornament' :lol:

The point of this being that, in the same sentence he said if it made me feel any better he still had one of the original pipes and a cooler which suggests to me that, if your pipes and connections are still ok, you might be able to get this cooler off Ned for cheap, as it's only going to sit on his shelves now. Mind you, I'm not sure cheap is in his vocabulary...:lol:

(Only joking if you're reading, Ned :thumbs:)

·
Registered
332 Posts
Just out of interest, which size oil cooler did you buy (num rows and width)? Also did you get the pipes done at pirtek? What connections does your cooler have - would this mean that, should another pipe leak, you have to get them custom made?

·
Registered
373 Posts
I think mine is a 9 row - i will check later if I go into work. Whilst I know this is slightly smaller than the one Autolusso use this is the UK and considering that a GTV being driven in Africa or Oz has the same size oil cooler it should be perfectly safe to use a smaller one. If you went for a bigger one it would only cost a tenner or so more. The pipes I had made up by a local hydraulics shop in Cardiff. I chose 1/2 inch male couplings on the cooler as it is an easy size. Should another flexi go I still have the choice of cutting it off and using jubilee clamps or I could again go to a professional shop to get it done.

·
Registered
160 Posts
This is a shop I have used in the past for this sort of thing and saved a lot of money:

On line shop
gidday mate, im looking at this one here, do you know what fittings i would need for the job by any chance

19 row 115mm matrix
Mocal pressed plate cooler 19 row 147mm high, 115mm matrix width 210mm overal, 51mm deep.

£93.18 (Excluding VAT at 20%)

Choose connections
Oil connection

just have to choose the connections for a 98 gtv 3.0 cause the pipes are all ok

thanks

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
I did this job back in '09 and used that size cooler but by Setrab. If I remember correctly it was narrower but higher than the original so didn't fit the duct very well. I consider a sixteen row if I were you. When I did my current car last year I used the Autolusso kit. A bit more expensive but it works and is delivered ready to fit.
These days I can't be bothered running around getting stuff made to save a few pounds. As you get older you even put a price on your time and value it a bit more as it runs out :lol:

·
Registered
160 Posts
thanks alfa family, and your right, im 44 now and my time is getting morer and more precious to me, im certainly more choosey who i spend it with thats for sure, think ill just get the auto lusso direct fit, sounds a hell of a lot easier, :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts