Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, still unable to fully enjoy the v6 (1999) after treating her to a cambelt and gta clutch and flywheel she is still playing up.

Basically it stutters upto 4000rmp then kick in, last night driving it home the maf was disconnected but still does it, connect the maf back up this morning and still the same?

The v6 won't connect to the code reader for some reason

Any ideas?

·
Registered
692 Posts
how smooth is the idle? if it hesitates or shunts I would check the plugs as GTV TB says or it could be a coil pack. Check the front bank first as they are easier to get to by disconnecting one at a time. If the one you disconnected is working then the car wont start or sound even rougher. If it is the culprit then then engine note wont change.
If the front bank is the culprit then youre in luck. Its simply a matter of swapping plugs around to see if the cause is a faulty plug or the coil pack.
Rear bank not so easy to get to im afraid- youre halfway to replacing the cambelt.

One other thing to check is do you hear a ticking or tapping sound at idle? if so check the manifold isnt damaged. On older cars I spray WD40 on to the joint to see if that changes the engine note however not sure if this might damage the cat? . .

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
My mate had exactly same issues on a Mondeo 2.5 v6. Tried everything initially. Apart from plugs and leads. Then changed plugs and leads. Lo and behold problem sorted!

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys really appreciate your input,

It's doesn't idle very we'll either and is now misfiring so got worse. I think your onto something with the coils, with what you guys have said fingers crossed it's at the front :)

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I take it that you had the same fault before the cambelt change?

Another possible fault from what's been suggested already:

Lambdas - unplug them in engine bay & see if engine runs worse/better. This is really easy to check and often overlooked. They affect the idle and acceleration.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I take it that you had the same fault before the cambelt change?

Another possible fault from what's been suggested already:

Lambdas - unplug them in engine bay & see if engine runs worse/better. This is really easy to check and often overlooked. They affect the idle and acceleration.
Mmm good point had a slight hesitation after the Cambelt change but the car hadn't really been driven for two years but didn't hesitate before but then when it went back in for mot work a new air filter was fitted and all seemed ok again but not running great for 60 miles I dove it and that's when the clutch went :-(

So engine back out and had a new clutch kit, flywheel and rad.

Now misfiring and running really bad no power and heicetant under 4000rpms, was hard driving it home tonight from work had to drive in low gears so can was always on high revs

I have a few coils I can try swapping over, couldn't get my laptop to read the car either this evening, got a few hours before work Tomoz so can disconnect a few sensors

Where is the lamba sensor located

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Lambdas in engine bay around MAF area, follow the wires up from the front exhaust.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had the same problem when I got mine. Particularly lumpy at Idle.

Replaced the spark plugs - no fix.

Replaced the Lambda's - fixed. I replaced the two pre-cats - one of which is mentioned on the front bank. The other you follow behind the engine from memory on the rear bank. Pig of a job. Both seemed to be causing an issue and after 16 years I just did both. One thing that was noticeable after replacing was the smell coming off the exhaust; was much better.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ok gtv seem alright this morning took in for a spin all good? How strange drove in to work and about 5 miles away and it kicked back in but even worse! Could barley drive it! Google alfa garage in Mansfield and alfatenico were 3 miles away which was lucky so dropped the car off with them to be looked at.

He started it and was going to take it for a test run but then switched it back off straight away as suspects the rear bank timing is out :-( and misfire due to valve damage!

They are going to fault code read it and check a few sensors first then take apart so will find out the outcome monday

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Not an expert on the V6 but is it possible to connect the lambdas the wrong way round. You said the engine was taken out.
Yes this is possible & has been done lots of times before. I label mine up when I disconnect them.

Only a 5 min job to check if they're ok.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
FFS just had a phone call timing way out!! Told lucky as if I kept driving it would have ending in disaster!

:furious:

They don't think belt or kit has even been changed!! Also checking valve but think because of timing out they are knackard

1 - 15 of 15 Posts