Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Having trrawled through a lot of old threads, i'm still struggling to solve one of my gtv's many faults....

I dont get any heat in the cabin at all :(

I've replaced the thermostat with an oe one from spares4u, original had been removed?

There is plenty of coolant, although is there any sort of bleeding technique specific to these V6's??

When you turn the heater control from cold to hot, you notice a drop in fan speed which is pretty normal for all cars, but no heat comes through?

Aircon and or recirc make no difference apart from steaming up the windscreen ;)

Any help will be greatly received

Need to sort this out so i can get on with the squeaky rear suspension, front brakes, leaking oil cooler and funny noise from poss fuel pump?

Thanks in advance

Mike

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Hmmm is your air con or climate control.

If it climate control then it could be your interior temp thermostat is dodgy (and the car thinks the car is already too warm).

TBH for something like this I take the easy option and take it to a garage and let them diagnose the problem (but then I don't like being cold!).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply :)

I'm sure it's just aircon, as there is no 'auto' option......

Mike :)

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
There'll be someone along soon who actually knows what they are talking about.. :)

As an alternative, you could try describing your symptoms to Jamie at http://www.alfaworkshop.co.uk/contact_us.shtml

He's helped me out a few times with over the phone/email problem diagnostics. He's obviously not a charity so if he can help, hopefully you'll consider him for any parts you need (he's pretty competitive anyway).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anymore views on this prob?

·
Registered
299 Posts
What year is the motor. Does it have the silver console? If it's the black (not the one I have, hence the next question) then is the hot to clod knob a switch or a cable "push / puller" if you know what I mean? If it is the latter then maybe the cable which controls the pipe valve has come loose. If it is the switch type then maybe its goosed and not telling the electric valve to open.

You know what I mean....not!

Regards

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers for the replies :)

It's a Phase 1 1998, def black console. Not sure if the heater switch is cable or electric motor?? Anyone??

I spose if the matrix is blocked the only way of clearing it would be to remove it? Presume this is a pig of a job??

Thanks again for all your help

Mike :)

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Not sure on accessibility to matrix. Heater designs have improved slightly in some cases and the matrix can, on some, be pulled out like a draw instead of starting by removing the seats and the headlining(haw haw). I've had the problem in the past and, like a radiator, found cleaning impossible, waste of time, need to fit new matrix. I must say it's probably less likely, the anti-freeze/corrosion inhibitor keeps it at bay for quite sime time, but should be changed according to the service schedule as it becomes exhausted over a number of years. We had a 145 (Twin spark 1998) on which a plastic clip broke which retained one end of the temperature control cable. The fault was obvious as the 'rotary control' went from being horribly stiff to totally limp. Meant dismantling the dash (unpleasant) and fixing the end of the cable outer to something using a decent brass clamp! I'd quite forgotten about this one till now. The 'servo' heater controls feel totally different, lovely and smooth and don't actually have limits they go round and round in wither direction for ever. That's at least how it is on our 147. I too hate cold all the time!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The heater switch, seems to 'click' at the farthest point in each direction, doesnt just spin round, does this mean this mean its a cable operated one? In which case how much of a bugger is it to get in there and fix?

Mike :) brrr

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Our 147 has a different generation of controls, they do go round and round and round and....
So in a nutshell, sorry I'm being no help, don't know. On the whole electric servo controls will feel smooth and even and not require grasping with great force, cable operated will feel squishy and sticky unlless there is a problem with the cable, in which case they'll probably have no feel or much resistance at all.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello Have You Tried Disconecting The Two Heater Pipes In The Engine Compartment And Flushing With A Hose Pipe In Both Directions If There Is A Blockage This Would Tell You Or Clear It...my Heater Was Running Hot All The Time But Have Sorted It Now By Turning The Hot-cold Switch Quickly A Few Times As This Only Cotroles The Air Flow To The Matrix For Hot Or Away From The Matrix For Cold,it Might Be Worth Trying The Second One First If The Car Has Been Sitting Around For A Bit Or Left On Hot All Winter...good Luck Let Us Know If Either Works...nigel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts