Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any1 had problems in getting hold of these tried two places now quickfit & halfords both list them but neither fit because of the prongs inside, they seem to have two prongs but need any help would be appreciated
Thanx:confused:

·
Registered
13,044 Posts
Strange, I'm certain Halfords do them - I purchased the extreme brilliance range for the silver flash a while back, however there are two pronged types, I know this because I bought the wrong one.

If I recall correctly the two types are HBU9006 and I think the others are HBU9005, I'm not sure which one you need though - just take the knackered one out when you go in to the shop :)

Halfords | Halfords (HBU9006) 51W Car Bulb x 1

·
Registered
13,044 Posts
You may have a point there Seadart, I fitted the lights to a 1998 phase 1 Twin spark, I don't know if there is a difference between the TS and the V6.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Yea I can't remember without pulling the bulb out.. the bulb listed at Halfords had a different bayonet/keyway arrangement to my car.. early ph1 TS.. I guess Alfa must have changed them at some point.. very similar but won't fit..

I ended up just taking the old bulb to the local factor and he sorted me out..

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,340 Posts
The bulbs are either HB3 or HB4 and they are not interchangeable, Some Cars seem to have all HB3, others HB4 and others a mix of both, seems to depend what was in the Parts Bin at the time ! My P1 has HB 3, LLB 9005.

The only way to be sure is to remove the Bulb you want to replace and check what it is. I'm pretty sure that Halfords do them so not sure what the problem is there.

Usually buy them from eBay or somewhere like this.

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/custom_mods/bulb_finder/car_bulb_master.php

At all costs do not buy cheap non branded Bulbs, especially the so called " Xenons, " totally useless. It's also wise to upgrade to the Extra Light versions from people like Phillips and Ring. Oddly enough I also believe that Halfords do their own Extra Light versions which people seem happy with. I use the Rings on mine and they are very good, a huge improvement over the standard ones.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks 4 the advice every1, the ones i did get were from halfords & were the upgraded extra bright whit/blue £17.00 a pop so not cheapys, 9005 was the product no i think there was an option for 9006 as well they were shown as being main beem bulbs i need dipped. As i was not the one who took them out the only thing i can think of is that they were taking the wrong bulb out ie taking the main beem bulb out & thats why they dnt match up ??

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,340 Posts
Dipped and main are the same, the halfords book is wrong.
:thumbs: A lot of the books and Internet info lists are wrong, even the Autobulb Link that I put up is wrong - for mine - but not necessarily for yours. Good innit ! :lol: !

The only way to be sure is to physically check what you have fitted.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Halfords have got bogoff on the super brights and extreme brights currently, just bought a pair of extremes fitting them this afternoon as a bulb went last night...

Or should I have gone for the blue ones? :cool:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chers guys looks like it should be the 9006 that i should have brought then mayb?? will grab myself sum & give them a go !! i take it its a piece of cake to do ??

·
Registered
13,044 Posts
Chers guys looks like it should be the 9006 that i should have brought then mayb?? will grab myself sum & give them a go !! i take it its a piece of cake to do ??
As I said in an earlier post, it would be worthwhile removing the knackered one to ensure that you get the one with the correct lugs (I like that word) when you go to the shop.

It couldn't be easier to remove them, there is a bracket that mates the two sets of electrical pins, a small flat bladed screwdriver will help and then once that is off, they just twist out
I had the wrong replacements though and it was like putting a square peg in a round hole, very frustrating. Halfords gave me a refund though :thumbs:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Just bought the Extreme Halfords ones and they won't go in a '99 TS Spider. The lugs on the connector are fine, it's the seat of the glass bulb section being wider than the Bosch I have on there. You can't get the bulb in far enough to engage the locking flanges (great word!) and lock the bulb in. Refund methinks. Also, they hardly looked any brighter than standard!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts