Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Just a quick question really.

I've read various threads on people changing their clutch for a GTA clutch and flywheel (or even the 2.5 V6 flywheel) and there has been some healthy discussion that the engine actually revs a little more freely.

Ignoring the possible performance gains for a moment, I'm keen to find out how much it would cost to have these parts fitted over the standard V6 clutch kit when it comes to replacing the clutch.

I've read a few threads and I've spoken to a few people and I'm either told that it will be more expensive to fit the GTA Clutch and Flywheel or I'm told that it's cheaper than fitting the standard V6 clutch.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi,

EB Spares and Alfaholics do a conversion from the dual mass flywheel. One of the guys in OZ has done this and had a good experience. Looking to to the same as well - just got to find the time.

Cheers.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Fitting expenses are excatly the same. The gearbox needs to come down. At first, the fywheel/clutch kit costs a bit more, but second time when you buy clutch only, you save a lot of money.
And the clutch pedal is so much more easy to press :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
I went for the gta clutch & flywheel as I was told it was the easiest / cheapest option. Felt like a new car when I got it back, having a lighter pedal makes it less like driving a tractor!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I did this a few years ago - work done by Alfa Aid in Maidenhead.

To replace the clutch in the GTV V6 is reasonable money, but most times the flywheel needs to be replaced too to get them to mate properly in which case it is much more expense because of the dual-mass flywheel in the GTV. Cheaper option is to replace the original set up with single-mass fly & clutch from the 2.5V6 (more expense than just the clutch but less than clutch + dual-mass fly). GTA clutch and single mass fly can be installed but it is not a straight fit and needs some modification to get it in (can't remember what). Either 2.5 or GTA clutch/fly is lighter than the dual-mass and the car is more responsive and ultimately faster. There is no problem with stalling and the single mass is strong and smooth enough for the GTV 3.0 or 3.2 and even the GTA (only the diesels will need dual-mass).

2 work summary: do it!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys.

The car is booked into Auto Lusso for next week to have the clutch changed and the 2.5 V6 flywheel fitted.

I know they get good reviews on here and they were the cheapest by far so it was abit of a no brainer but like most things, the proof will be in the pudding.

I'll let you guys know how I get on in a few weeks. :)

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I'm sure you won't be disappointed by AutoLusso.
Let us know what you think about the new clutch - I had mine done at the same time as the Q2 diff so would be interested to hear what you find when this is done in isolation. Or could you be tempted to get a Q2 at the same time?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Q2 route is extremely tempting but we've decided against it for the forseeable future for a number of reasons.

1) It's my girlfriends car and it doesn't really get put through it's paces unless I'm driving it.
2) I have an Audi S2 with fairly extensive suspension modifications that is very quick point-to-point across country and is generally used if we feel like going for an early morning hoon.
3) It's not a cheap upgrade by any means.

Mind you, that's not to say that it's something I wouldn't consider in the future. I'd quite like to go out for a passenger ride in someones GTV with the Q2 diff fitted just to see the difference.

Once we get the car back I'll be sure to report back on here to let you know how it feels. :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
if it performs better with a single mass flywheel and doesnt require it then why did alfa fit it in the first place. Usually alfa are keen to tweak things in favour of performance??

·
Registered
275 Posts
if it performs better with a single mass flywheel and doesnt require it then why did alfa fit it in the first place. Usually alfa are keen to tweak things in favour of performance??
Yes and in PIII they left that bulky dual mass clutch. Everyone makes mistakes :D

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
At the time the 3.0 24v V6 was the torquiest engine Alfa had produced - best give it a dual-mass clutch. But clutch technology has moved on and even the 3.2GTA with more torque gets a single mass. Only the diesels need a dual-mass to cope.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts