Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only just got my first Alfa, a GTV 2.0 TS. All is well, but for when I am trying to go fast around right hand bends! Left handers no problem, but right handers, the car every now and then tries to straighten up.

Suspension and steering wise, everything appears okay. The tyres however on the front end are different, with one more worn than the other. Maybe this is the problem, but my question is........are the GTV prone to torque steer. (ie hard accelaration, bumpy or uneven roads etc)

Cheers
Nick

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Also get the front double checked. Mine needed new wishbones and trackrod ends even though first garage said all was ok

·
Registered
545 Posts
I seem to remember Roberto Giordanelli of Auto Italia wrote a running report on his GTV 3.0 some time ago and was having more than usual torque steer. He changed his part workn michelins for dunlop speedlines (or some such) and the problem was cured.

So, tyres sound very likely.

·
Registered
535 Posts
A symptom of torque steer isnt the car trying to straighten up? Best way to tell is under heavy acceleration do you feel like the steering wheel is fighting back when you floor it? In my 2.0 TS I could not really ever notice torque steer, but in the V6 there quite a bit of it.

Is the tyre thats more worm the one of the left?

It sounds like when your going fast to the right the car is understeering (trying to straighten up??) which does just like loss of grip.

The condition of the front tyres is really important on the GTV.

·
Registered
30,067 Posts
torque steer on most TW based cars, 145, 155 GTV not the newer 156, 147 is generally caused by worn bushes on the wishbones

and yes, torque steer is the car fighting under load, like my 33 for example, in a straight line the car fights me through the steering wheel and even on hard cornering, but only under load.

my 155 did the same too due to worn wish bones, it would steer left right left right while hard accelerating in a straight line, PS the 155 does share similar front suspension setup as the GTV :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts