Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya guys

this question has probably been taken up countless times before but i'll just ask anyway.

going to be upgrading the suspension allround on my GTV (916 V6)

this will be done with Eibach springs and Bilstein B6 shocks.

the big question is that I have to change a bush in the rear of the car and was wondering if I should go with original or get it powerflexed?!

taa

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
On the 156 there is a bush that benefits from having a poly one fitted. It is the trailing arm hub end one. Not sure if GTV's have the same setup though.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Maybe depends on how long you want to keep the car.
The powerflex bushes will last almost forever, whereas the standard ones will be good for say 5 years, but when they are good they will allow the suspension to move around in the way that it was designed to, whilst the powerflex ones are so hard there is little give.

I've got Eibach springs and powerflex bushes on the rear and it's extremely tight, given the choice again I'd go with standard bushes.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Go original. I power-flexed the whole back end of mine, which took ages, and found that the stiffness of the bushes didn't allow the suspension to work as designed, in addition to being harsh. I disliked it so much I took the whole lot off and replaced everything with new OEM, and am very pleased I did. Also, I think the price charged for a few bits of pu and some poor quality washers is a bit much. The original bushes in the pan arms had lasted 40 000 miles.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just wondering why you chose the B6 over the B8 when lowering -30mm with the Eibach?
Eibach only lowers 20mm and the B8's don't exist for the GTV :) might be going for Koni's otherwise, both very good companys, and nearly exactly the same price...

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
i'm a fan of KONI Sport. particularly as you can tune them slightly, via the adjustable rebound setting (full 'soft' setting lack enough rebound damping IMO, so i have usually had my cars wound out to about '1 full turn' firmer).

KONIs were on my 156, and now on my GT. also had them on an SW20 MR2.

i have Bilstein B6 (with Eibachs) on my 155. i find this combo quite crashy and too hard on 'compression', and slightly insufficient 'rebound' damping...for my tastes. whilst i wish i'd chosen KONIs instead (i decided on Bilstein just to try, for something different), i've also been reassured that it is more the design of the suspension than anything else.

however, the GTV shares a similar strut front setup to the 155, yeah? it's not double wishbone like the newer cars. and it's the front end that i find too crashy.

so whilst i cannot conclusively tell you (cos i don't have a GTV), i would recommend KONI Sport if you have a choice.

:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts