Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, looking for any advice/wisdom. I just moved a set of 17 inch teledials from my 1998 GTV 3.0v6 project (for project read broken) to my 2002 3.0v6 spider, which had the original 15 inch spider wheels. Problem is the tyres are scuffing on the wheel arch liners and on full lock. Mainly when hitting bumps. I thought these would be a direct replacement, is there a difference in the offset requirement between the GTV and spider?
They are defo original wheels on the GTV not from 156 etc.
Would a 16 inch set from a 156 etc be a better option (although would not look as good)?

Thanks Al

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
i have had 16" teardrops and no rubbing

17 GTA with 225/45/17 and rubbed but never bothered me'
and 17" true teledials also with 225/45/17 and they also rub,

Hear a lot of comments at meets about this, even had the wheel arch liners out thinking i am going to be super careful putting them back right and basically theirs nothing you can do the liners fit where they fit

its a GTV problem

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
In the past I have 'pinned' the arch liners to the body using countersunk screws. The extra few mm gap made all the difference.

·
Registered
69 Posts
flyingscotsman,

Has your spider got lowered springs, even just -10mm might make a difference? Just a thought.

My TS spider is on 16" teledials (probably ex-156 with spacers) and seems fine: http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=592194&d=1450536355. I don't know whether that helps for a V6 - they have a slightly bigger turning circle so I don't know whether that increases the chances of rubbing on full lock.

Andy

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Hi guys, looking for any advice/wisdom. I just moved a set of 17 inch teledials from my 1998 GTV 3.0v6 project (for project read broken) to my 2002 3.0v6 spider, which had the original 15 inch spider wheels. Problem is the tyres are scuffing on the wheel arch liners and on full lock. Mainly when hitting bumps. I thought these would be a direct replacement, is there a difference in the offset requirement between the GTV and spider?
They are defo original wheels on the GTV not from 156 etc.
Would a 16 inch set from a 156 etc be a better option (although would not look as good)?

Thanks Al
Do you mean 'had original 16 inch spider wheels'?

Spider & GTV both have the same offset, ET30.5.

16" 156 Teles won't fit over the 3.0 24v fr calipers.

Where exactly are the tyres rubbing, have you got any bump stops on the front shocks, how new/good are the front shocks/springs?

There are 2 types of front arch liner, I think it's the earlier ones that have less clearance, which ones are on your Spider.....they may have been changed by a previous owner?

Lowering shouldn't affect clearance as it's only 'taking up/using' the first part of suspension travel not the last.........the wheel doesn't go any higher at full suspension compression.....unless there's no bump stops?

Post a picture, are you certain they're GTV Teledials, part number's on the rear face.

Clive

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
My spider although a TS is on lowered suspension - Eibachs and 18's, only catch the liners when on full lock. I would have thought 17's should be fine.

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
I have 17" wheels with 225/45R17 on my Spider (rims 17", 8" width, ET30) and they sometimes slightly rub on arch liners on full lock.
But it is not something that worry me

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies guys, it gives me a few things to look at.
I am sure the 17 inch teledials are original GTV as I have all the original paperwork for it. The spider wheels are indeed 16inch 205/50. The rubbing is slight and on all four wheels at times. I will be checking the bump stops in the daylight but pretty sure they are in place.
I am also pretty confident the spider is original and not lowered, I have receipts for new front shocks in its life so set up should be ok. The 17 inch teledials clear the caliper on the spider fine.
I will try to live with it but the ride is also worse in the spider with the 17inch wheels.

I have attached (I think?) pics of the original spider, the spider with the teledials and the teledials on the GTV they came from.
I owned the GTV for seven years before selling it three years ago. I missed it so much that I bought the spider! Then the opportunity (e-bay) came up to buy the GTV back as a project, the head gasket is gone and the laquer is gone, so not sure if it will be worth the effort/expense?
Must admit I prefer the GTV to drive, the scuttle shake on the spider is a pain.
I am also running a Saab 9-3 and a Jeep grand Cherokee. I picked up again on this website and will update the profile etc when I get a chance.
Thanks for the advice and pointers, let you know if I find anything.
Al

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 MiTo 1.4TBi, Past 2010 Giulietta 2.0 170 Veloce, Past GTV 2.0 TS Lusso
111 Posts
Thanks for all the replies guys, it gives me a few things to look at.
I am sure the 17 inch teledials are original GTV as I have all the original paperwork for it. The spider wheels are indeed 16inch 205/50. The rubbing is slight and on all four wheels at times. I will be checking the bump stops in the daylight but pretty sure they are in place.
I am also pretty confident the spider is original and not lowered, I have receipts for new front shocks in its life so set up should be ok. The 17 inch teledials clear the caliper on the spider fine.
I will try to live with it but the ride is also worse in the spider with the 17inch wheels.

I have attached (I think?) pics of the original spider, the spider with the teledials and the teledials on the GTV they came from.
I owned the GTV for seven years before selling it three years ago. I missed it so much that I bought the spider! Then the opportunity (e-bay) came up to buy the GTV back as a project, the head gasket is gone and the laquer is gone, so not sure if it will be worth the effort/expense?
Must admit I prefer the GTV to drive, the scuttle shake on the spider is a pain.
I am also running a Saab 9-3 and a Jeep grand Cherokee. I picked up again on this website and will update the profile etc when I get a chance.
Thanks for the advice and pointers, let you know if I find anything.
Al
Yes, the 17s have less tyre sidewall flex, which helps improve roadholding near the limit but will ruin your ride quality. Especially on
a Spider ! Scuttle shake and generally boneshaker ride!

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Rears should never touch if bump stops are in place. Car could probably do with a suspension refresh.

Clive

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Rears should never touch if bump stops are in place. Car could probably do with a suspension refresh.

Clive
That's what I was thinking and maybe a 4-wheel alignment, my spider is a different car since the alignment was done, even on 18's.
If the poster doesn't like the ride, put the original wheels back on, they look nice on the Spider.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts

Clive
Are the rear bump stops EVER in place? Lol... Every Spider or GTV that I see has them rolling around in the spring pans.

I replaced them on my last Spider and it fixed that 'tyre rubbing on the top of the wheelarch' problem, which my GTV has as well, of course. Makes a 'skirf' noise during spirited cornering.

-Alex

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Are the rear bump stops EVER in place? Lol... Every Spider or GTV that I see has them rolling around in the spring pans.

I replaced them on my last Spider and it fixed that 'tyre rubbing on the top of the wheelarch' problem, which my GTV has as well, of course. Makes a 'skirf' noise during spirited cornering.

-Alex
Even when 'rolling around in the spring pans' they still act as a bump stop.

Clive

·
Registered
602 Posts

-Alex
i wondered why there is a hole inside the alu subframe fight above the bumpstops. mine had been filled up with sand and rotted.
does anybody know why? its this that leads to the rotting of the cups. water and schmutzig stuff go inside there and trickle down into the cups, then the small holes clog up and rots. i replaced mine a few weeks ago, sanded a brand new one down then painted some POR-15 and used some Dynax-UC Wax. ****s good. Sprayed some 2 years ago on my metal wheel arch lip that was rusting, when i went back to sand the rust away it had not spread one bit. so ordered 4 cans and did the entire underside.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Yep, I agree. The hole in the sub frame is to allow a drain into the cup and then the water escapes through the small holes in the bottom of the cup. My sub frames drain holes were completely blocked with mud etc as well.

I did the same & coated the inside of the new cups with rust paint. Good tip on Dynax-UC Wax.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts