Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The hood compartment cover does not raise even when manually operating auxiliary buttons behind drivers seat there are sounds as if a motor is operating but fails to unlock the cover

·
Registered
614 Posts
There is a motor tucked away down the back that has a gear that operates a cable on each side of the car that is attached to locking hooks on each side, the gear is most likely stripped. The motor & gear assembly will need to be replaced/rebuilt.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks bazzbazz
Can you tell the location of the motor and can the cover be opened some other way
Crusader007

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
The motor is dead central at the back of the cubby hole. It rotates by about a 1/4 turn to release/lock the clamshell. When the cables are tight then the clamshell will be locked. You might be able to slacken off the cables at the motor to release the locks... make sure you mark the original position to save having to adjust them again when re-assembling.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The motor is dead central at the back of the cubby hole. It rotates by about a 1/4 turn to release/lock the clamshell. When the cables are tight then the clamshell will be locked. You might be able to slacken off the cables at the motor to release the locks... make sure you mark the original position to save having to adjust them again when re-assembling.
Hi Nellytheroc
Thank you for your reply, can the cubby hole be removed to gain access to the motor, I suffer with arthritis and in such a confined space it's very difficult To work
Thanks crusader007

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Hi Nellytheroc
Thank you for your reply, can the cubby hole be removed to gain access to the motor, I suffer with arthritis and in such a confined space it's very difficult To work
Thanks crusader007
Open the cubby hole and the carpet type liner is in two pieces and can be removed to either get to the battery if you take out the LH piece or the motor and hydraulic pump if you remove the RH bit. It’s quite stiff so not the easiest to get out. Let me know if you’re having dramas and I’ll take a couple of photos. Hope you get it sorted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Nellytheroc
Many thanks for your advice, I will make a start tomorrow and let you know how I get on,
Kind regards
Graham ( crusader007)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Nellytheroc
Many thanks for your advice, I will make a start tomorrow and let you know how I get on,
Kind regards
Graham ( crusader007)
Hi
Firstly I would like to thank all who helped with excellent advice, I stripped the motor and
Found the gear wheel damaged and got a replacement from Jamie Porter ltd and everything
Is now working OK. I now have another problem, I had to break sharply and noticed that the pre tensioner warning light activated, can this be reset.
Many thanks
Graham (crusader007)

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Very easy to fix... the leads you need are about £30 on eBay and the software is free. I use an old XP laptop and MultiECUscan. Plugs in next to the fuse box and takes a couple of minutes to connect and reset the warning light. Worth putting a small plasticuff round the connectors so they can’t come loose.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Give me half an hour and I’ll take a photo

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
This is the fuse box cover... it’s below and to the right of the steering wheel on a RHD.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is the fuse box cover... it’s below and to the right of the steering wheel on a RHD.

View attachment 936550
S

View attachment 936550

View attachment 936550

View attachment 936550
h

View attachment 936550
Hi again Nellytheroc
That`s brilliant, I have removed the cover and found the 16 point diagnostic plug in. On ebay I found a diagnostic scanner reset tool CR319. for OBD2 basic functions is this compatible with GTV 916 electrics, sorry to be a pest but I`m learning all the time.
many thanks
graham (crusader007)

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Sorry but that is something I know nothing about. The leads I have are something like these...

Check with the seller that they are compatible with your car. The software is free... there is a paid version but I’ve never needed it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry but that is something I know nothing about. The leads I have are something like these...

Check with the seller that they are compatible with your car. The software is free... there is a paid version but I’ve never needed it.
Hi Nellytheroc
Thank you for all your help and advice, will let you know how I get on (at 76 years of age it not so easy) but I`m learning all the time
Cheers Graham (crusader007)

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Graham... you are more than welcome. I joined this site 6 years ago and had only opened the bonnet to check the oil. Thanks to the help and advice on here I now do all my own servicing, I’ve replaced brake disc, shocks, cv joints, drive shafts, wheel bearings and a whole lot more on two 916s. I am just grateful for the opportunity to help others as others have helped me. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts