Alfa Romeo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Hi All
been an Alfa nut for many years and have had several GTV TS and one fabulous gtv v6. All had niggling isues but loved every single one of them.Why did i sell them twins growing up was costing me. Now kids 19 and i have purchased a 97 spider lusso, have no history and one key, i know about all the risks around that however as an example i left home at 06.15hrs today for work came home at 17.00hrs 65mile round trip and had a big smile all day on my face i just love it even with it's problems you tell me a car that hasn't my last company car a VW passat diesel beand new , absolutely dreadful inside reliable naaah!! RAC man new me by my first name and that';s no joke, give the company car back and drive an Alfa.. you only live once enjoy...whch ever model you choose:thumbs

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow, what a big help this thread has been. i have just joined this forum, and it is so helpful for me who knows nothing about Alfas. Very much appreciate the sound advice.. hope to have an Alfa spider soon!
Thanks!

·
Registered
165 Posts
agree with all you say, my 1998 1.8 spyder has the scuttle shake, and the air bag light comes on about twice a year,rough roads here in tenerife dont help,but sun shine , open road ,its great.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for spending the time to put this guide together. As a first time Alfa owner it has been really useful to read, and has hopefully enabled me to make an informed choice.

Time will tell as I put a deposit down on a '99 2.0 TS on Saturday, and will be picking her up Thursday!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Great piece. I have just acquired (being delivered by father-in-laws brother) a 96 Spider Lusso. Can't wait to get it, as it has been his pride and joy for 14 years. As a meticulous car enthusiast (no me, the seller) I just can't wait to see it... Yes, bought it blind since from a family member and no Yorkshire man would ever lie. (To his family..)!!
Needing to clear some space on driveway so if anybody needs part of a 2000 166 V6, please PM me.

Now I can enjoy both a 166 V6 and a Spider....

·
Registered
26,115 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
brilliant thread and so helpful. I'm looking for a spider and already know about the engine issues regarding the variator I did mine on my last 156 (now thinking why I sold the cam locking tools and the home made removing tool)
one question I have is if I go for a manual hood how easy is it to lower and raise it single handed. I have a shoulder injury that may take some time to heal and may never be back to being 100%. my current car a mx5 is a doddle and my show car xr3i cabriolet is a power hood so no problem but the last thing I want to be doing is buying a spider with a manual hood and not be able to use it when I'm one my own. but I'd sooner go for the manual after reading the thread.
thanks in advance for any help.
when I do find the right car i'll post pics etc.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
I'm glad we bought one with a power roof. However I've not had any issues with ours yet so I'm bound to say that :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
thanks for the help, i've decided that I'm going to try a find a lusso that fits my price range or wait until into the new year when i'll have more funds. that may well be my best bet thb.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
On the hood front; it's easy to get a power hood up and down manually...just switch the car off, this will release all the tension in the hydraulics

Now that the spider is older, if you are thinking of getting one just factor in the cost of having all the bushes in the suspension changed. The car handles like a dog once they wear.

On the whole though, I've run the spider as my daily driver and as a second car and it's reliable, fun and now a rare sight on UK roads. Nothing will quite prepare you for the wee boy crossing the road who's never seen one before and points to it like its a £200,000 Ferrari!
Had that before now from a few teenage girls :lol:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Had that before now from a few teenage girls :lol:

Same here. Parked up, roof down, on Plymouth Hoe on a sunny Sunday afternoon. Sit a few feet away enjoying an ice cream and just listen to the comments. Can there be any car that looks so damn good for such little outlay?

41 - 60 of 70 Posts