Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Just wanted to bump this thread up again, as I found it REALLY useful when buying my Spider.

It took 4 different Spiders for sale until I found the one that I was happy with.

Now I'm the proud owner of a 1999 Zoe Yellow Spider, with manual hood, upgraded stereo, but totally original and mint elsewhere. :D

(and yes, when the sun eventually graces us with her presence, I'll take some photos! :D )

Cheers Spidey and all others who contributed to this guide!

Maybe next time (if there's an update) I can lend a few words. :cool:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi
Just got a 97 spider 2TS. 49K. Very nice condition as the previous owner kept it in his garage next to his mint MGB and immaculate 4 cylinder Yamaha motorbike. (His MB stood in the drive).
I asked him what he did to keep the mohair hood nice. He said that he popped it out in the rain and then brushed it like a horse.
Do you guys have any other suggestions? (MB do a cleaner/waterproofer kit for £24 for theirs).
George.

·
Registered
193 Posts
An excellent guide.

I read it when I was looking for a GTV. The only problem was that once on the test drive I completely forgot everything! The sound of the exhaust note, the leach-like cornering, I just drove with the windows down. Only after getting it home did I realise the "radio/CD/Speakers" were missing. Small sacrifice. Thankfully the canmbelt and suspension were done a year ago. Very worrying how i completly lost all objectivity once I fired up the engine :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
An excellent guide.

Very worrying how i completly lost all objectivity once I fired up the engine :rolleyes:
I totally agree! This was the most useful thing I read in all of my internet travels before I bit the bullet on Monday and signed for a 1998 Ph2 TS for twice as much money as I wanted to spend. The guide was so helpful but as I was zipping around the countryside all I could think was "I want I want I want...". Pretty sure I got a great example with tons and tons of history+money spent but the decision was at least 3/4 made with the heart. Can't wait to pick it up on Sunday :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
A brilliant giude, I wish it had been available when I bought my GTV!

Could I just add that in my experience it is worth checking that ALL electrical items work, especially the electric mirrors and the heated rear window.

I can't speak for the Spider, but on the GTV the windows are only designed to drop on later cars (2000 and after I think). Earlier versions don't have this feature. Sometimes the door windows won't sit properly on the seals and leaves a gap between the seal and glass. This is an easy fix and not something to put you off buying a car.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I bought a 50k miles 1998 GTV V6 lusso for £1800 from my brother, so far needs a/c recharge,possible starter motor change, new air blower switch, maybe new alarm system.......does this seem good value???

it has no rust whatsoever, looks stunning ( see my galary )

what do you people think??

·
Registered
85 Posts
Spiderman, thorough guide.
Specially for me that I'm about to buy a Spider GTV 3.0 V6.
- It's only 13,863[km], black with red momo seats, AC, stereo and electric hood, and it's year 2000. It has mostly sat in a garage.
The hood has a little glitch, that you have to keep pressing the button until the whole process is done.
The seller also said that he had some issues with the inmobilizer so he had to disable it... I'll have to check on that.

The car is selling for U$21,000. I've been asking for advice on pricing... any suggestions guys!
This will be a completely irrational purchase (I test-drove the car, and I'm hooked, I'm trying to be rational but I can't), so I want to make the best of it.

Please help !

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks for the guide, it is very useful when shopping around for either the GTV or Spider - in the end I found my GTV and with the information and advice provided, I believe I found a good un. Cheers!

·
Registered
89 Posts
thanks for the advice on here, it really helped me when i purchased a 2000year model, the car is fantastic i love it to bits can not wait for the summer

·
Registered
64 Posts
Excellent guide, very useful for me right now as I expect to buy a Spider within the next couple of weeks. Will post experiences in a seperate thread, or perhaps ask "stupid" newbie questions!

·
Registered
60 Posts
really useful guide.. I did read it before I bought my spider but as I've bought a non-runner it's gonna be more of a 'things to check' guide than a buyers guide...

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Very useful in general. Great however,

One AREA which I think could definately do with updating is the whole 'red master key' issue, where people always seem to fall for the smoke and mirrors.

Reality is on all cars with a red key you can walk into Timpsons (myself and others have done this) and for around £25 will supply you a new cloned key of your original. You can even take your own key blank in and they will clone it for you for £10. My g/f's car did not come with a master key and we have had two clones made from the original service key which work perfectly.

The Red/Burgundy master key is NOT essential.

·
Registered
115 Posts
"One time in your life you should have a daft, impractical 2-seater convertible!

There’s lots of time for driving sensible cars the day you become a "sensible" family man like me...”

Spiderman"

Absolutly love your ending mate! just bought one on that principal!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Glad i found this before i go and sign my life away on a W/2000 2.0l TS GTV

it looks beautiful mind :inlove:

quoting waynes world "oh yes, she will be mine!"

21 - 40 of 70 Posts