Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there & Merry Christmas to all.

I was hoping some kind souls may be able to help me with my relatively new GTV (1996 2.0 TS)

I bought the car with the intention of doing some bits as she is a bit down on her luck. I know a bit about 2.0 TS engines as I had a couple of 156s before. But situation has changed a little & now need to use her daily.

The main problem I have is she seems to be losing a little oil onto the exhaust. I got about 40 miles down the M5 the other day & I noticed some smoke starting to come into the cabin air vents. Popped the bonnet & saw a small amount of dark smoke coming from the back of the engine. Car has not been used since - talk about paranoia kicking in :lol:

I think that this is probably just a rocker gasket weeping. Although I am posting to see if any one with a greater knowledge knows of some other problem which causes similar problems... Or if there is another symptom which I can check.

Any help will be gratefully received :D: - I can't afford to take her into the garage & I need her to be up & running.

I will probably be able to repay the favour in the future - I was very active on the 156 forum - loving the GTV though - the joys of alfa :)

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I think you are probably correct, mine leaks a very small amount but you can only see it from underneath the car. If you have a duff gasket oil could drop onto the pipes as they start their route towards the rear of the car. It sounds like you need to get your head and a torch into a class winning yoga position unless you have some decent ramps at home.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies guys - just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something stupid.

As for yoga - maybe getting the missus involved in my hobby might make her 'complain' less about having a couple of cars on stands out the front of the house :lol:

Oil, filter & gasket on order.... may do thermostat & ABS sensor too (told you there are a few bits....)

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
When I saw the thread title I was going to suggest at least winding down the window a bit so that the smoke is drawn outside, and make sure you don't drop it on the carpet, that freaked me out when a friend did that...

-Alex

1 - 9 of 9 Posts