Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have just bought a 98 2.0 litre GTV. I have noticed that the temperature gauge seems to read around 55 - 60 degrees when driving the car, it gradually keeps up during traffic then drops off again when the car is moving.
What kind of temperature should I expect this car be running at?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Well, I had the same thing in my GTV, and thought that the thermostat could be stuck open.

I've changed it, and it still does the same. On a long journey expect to see something between 70 to 90, but on shorter journies less than 70 is normal, particularly when its cold outside :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Normal for them to sit around 90 in traffic.
Normal for them to run higher than normal cars (yes alfas are abnormal!).

Pretty certain you'l see this on most cars with an oil cooler.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Yeah, but his is running cooler than 'normal'

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi Folks,

My 96 GTV 2.0TS runs at 70-75, all the time, slightly more in real traffic.

Some folks say change the thermostat, others say it's normal ... what is normal? (according to AR) :eek:

Not keen on spending time and money changing things only to find that it was tickety boo all along.

Cheers,

Blakie

·
Registered
317 Posts
Mine always ran cool (55-60) so I changed the thermostat, now she runs just under 90 whether sat in traffic or on the move. An unexpected bonus was my fuel consumption going down. Thermostat was £35 and a doddle to fit.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Mine always ran cool (55-60) so I changed the thermostat<snip>
Was that OEM or a third party Thermostat Nosbork?

It would probably make a few quid difference in price, but might also have a different thermal fingerprint.

Yours in anticipation,

Blakie

·
Registered
317 Posts
OEM from Shop4parts. There are two types for the 2L TS, one with a T connector on the bottom and one with an L connector, check which one you have. Also, get a selection of jubilee clips to replace the original clips. You need to transfer the temperature sender to the new thermostat housing. To make life easy, I didn't bother draining the whole system, I just undid one of the thermostat hoses, let the coolant drain into a dish then poured it back in when I finished.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My Spider is similar ( 50 - 60 degrees C ) in the cool running dept., running to 90 in traffic or up the steep twisty run to home. This scenario appears to be common for Alfa 2.0 TS, were the thermos from the factory duds in that after time they remain stuck open ?

My old Pug 306 used to be the same - I changed the thermostat in that car for bugg*#all difference in running temp.

I wonder, is there an air purging procedure involved with replacing the thermostat ?

Not trying to cast aspersions on what should happen with a thermostat change when experiencing this cool running temp thing, but certainly ask about the correct procedure.

·
Registered
111 Posts
On the way home from work I did a little experiment ... Let the interior warm up nicely (temp gauge showing just above 70C) ... switched to recirc. so I didn't freeze ... turned off blowers and heater ... car remains cosy and temp gauge rose to just below 90C and stayed there ... switched off recirc. ... interior temperature dropped like a stone ... turned on heater ... gauge settled back to 70C ... nothing to do with the thermostat after all.

Try it and let us know what happens.

Blakie

·
Registered
317 Posts
The easiest way to check if the thermostat is faulty - when the engine is cold, lift the bonnet, start her up and hold the top hose (goes from thermostat housing to top of radiator), if it gets warm quickly, the stat is shot. No need to bleed the system, just top up the bottle and start her up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for those tips....i will try the recirc with no heaters on my home, will have to wait until the weekend until i can get under the bonnet. Atleast it doesnt sound too expensive too change the thermostat which I was fearing!

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
It is most likely your thermostat... Had the same problem on my v6. I sent an email to JP at the Alfa Workshop describing the symptoms and asking what he thought and he said thermo.

One new thermostat later and it runs at about 75 c and seems to be running better.

R

·
0 Posts
Got my thermostat to do this weekend, Interesting idea draining into a dish a putting it back in after. I might try that as mine had the coolant changed recently so should be nice and fresh.

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
I had since my GTV since it was new. Temperature goes up to just under 90 regardless of traffic conditions. Then it varies +/- 5C depending on if I'm moving in clear air or in stuck in town traffic.

The fan comes in at around 95 and cools it down to about 87 before cutting out.

Aircon and heater settings don't affect that behaviour but having the heater on delays the rise of temperature, whereas having a/c on speeds it up.

It takes about 7 miles to warm up to full temperature.

I've always used the Genuine part thermostat. OEM parts are VERY likely to be made by someone else. They may give the same results or they may not... If they make the beast run at 75C then that's too low.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Interesting reading from the Quinton Hazell Thermostat catalogue:

GTV 2.0 TS - 09/95-98 - 83°
GTV 2.0 TS - 09/98 on - 88°

So the later cars run hotter.

If you have been 'moved' by these stats, the entire catalogue can be found here.

And there's another spanner in the works :rolleyes:

Blakie

1 - 20 of 62 Posts