Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Recently bought a 1996 gtv 2.0 ts and have noticed that although it starts and ticks over no probs it seems to 'struggle' when pulling off and accellerating. It seems to be holding back as if misfiring. It has fsh, cam belt changed at 80,000.
Any help and suggestons as to what this might be greatly received
Thanks

·
Registered
449 Posts
It could be one, or more, of many things.

I personally would start by checking plugs and leads, air filter and MAF. All cost nothing to check and it takes little time.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sounds the same as the problem I've just had with mine which turned out to be the air flow meter (maf). It's very easy to check, just unplug the electrical connection, if it's that you'll know as soon as you drive it because the fault will disapear.
If you do need one shop around though because I found prices varied a lot from £81 to £135. I got one from my local motor factors for £91, genuine brand new Bosh part.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Check the large concertina hose from air filter to throttle body as well. it splits easily over time and will also cause those symptoms. (split could be on underside so remove to check) easily fixed with Gaffa tape or a new one isn't too pricey.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
You can diagnose the problem by disconnecting the plug that goes into the MAF then running the car and seeing what it feels like.

Always, always, always try to clean your MAF before you buy a new one. The MAF can stop working properly if it gets a bit of dirt on it, or maybe a bit of oil from an aftermarket airfilter. More likely than not it'll fix the problem and save you £100.

Here's a guide - Fun starts @ 3000!

It's reasonably simple to do, and would probably take me 10-15 minutes now I've done it once already.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cheers guys thanks for replies. I'll try them all over the weekend - but if anything else springs to mind pls let me know
thanks

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
:lol:
Check the large concertina hose from air filter to throttle body as well. it splits easily over time and will also cause those symptoms. (split could be on underside so remove to check) easily fixed with Gaffa tape or a new one isn't too pricey.
I only needed on bit of rubber which was ordered using the part number stamped on it. They sent me the whole set of boxes, tubes and connectors for about £100.. Decided that as one bit was gone I meant as well replace the whole lot :lol:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Nice guide by the way
Hope I never had to use it though

1 - 9 of 9 Posts