Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it looks like I MAY be back in the driving seat of a GTV again sometime soon. Since selling it, I've got more and more into my mountain biking, so I thought I'd ask here if there are any roof bars that will fit a GTV?

I have some Thule bars atm, but can't see any fixings on their website for a GTV. It's a bit of a deal breaker to be honest, but I do really fancy another one of these fine motors :D

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
i've seen a boot rack for the gtv, but no roof bars i'm afraid. have a search on here, i'm sure there are some biking threads.

·
Registered
8 Posts
As a fitter at halfords in the touring and leisure dept i can tell you with almost 100% certainty that there won't be a fitting kit/footpack for a gtv, the roof is too small.

However the boot rack might be possible, you see MG TF's and MX-5s with them

·
Registered
137 Posts
Saris Bones rear rack fits. OE rack would be pretty slick - only ever seen them in an old brochure.

Last season I managed to do a couple of events with the bike on the back seat, wheels and seatpost removed. It's a bit of a faff but do-able - you'll need plenty of towels down to sheild the leather.

I didn't particularly like the way boot racks were strapped down, so decided the best way was a tow-bar rack with a removable towball. In the end I picked up a £200 Mk3 golf and used that instead of the Alfa. Probably the best way to get bikes in and out of a muddy field if you own a GTV!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Saris Bones rear rack fits. OE rack would be pretty slick - only ever seen them in an old brochure.

Last season I managed to do a couple of events with the bike on the back seat, wheels and seatpost removed. It's a bit of a faff but do-able - you'll need plenty of towels down to sheild the leather.

I didn't particularly like the way boot racks were strapped down, so decided the best way was a tow-bar rack with a removable towball. In the end I picked up a £200 Mk3 golf and used that instead of the Alfa. Probably the best way to get bikes in and out of a muddy field if you own a GTV!
Hmm no way I'd be putting it inside the car, I'd have no room for my tent etc then lol.

Tow bar is a good idea actually, how much are you talking to have the towbar + rack bought & fitted? A GTV + a mk3 Golf isn't an option for me I'm afraid, only have space for 1 car.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Looked into this a year ago, there's no roof bars available, only boot rack. I remember a thread with someone who got one from Halfords but had to adjust it. Do a search

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yup ill back that up, the adjustable rear mount one should be ok as long at the straps can wrap around the inside of the boot lid. Go for the blue or black box one or a Thule one. Avoid the ones in the red boxes.

As for toe ball, i dunno prices on that but the tow ball mount cycle carrier is £70-£90

1 - 8 of 8 Posts