Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 409 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I started my Gtv restoration.:thumbs:

As you can see on the photo I washed my Gtv and the Toyota Yaris infront of the car is my sensible car and the money I save will pay for the parts for the Gtv.:)

After travelling to Ely to work and driving across the fens has taken a slight toll on the car. These blinking bumpy roads has caused more wear and tear than I expected.

Hopefully the car will be ready later this year, if not early next spring in 2013.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Whilst I was doing this 'Barney' was keeping an eye on me. :lol:

(You can just see his he above the window sill looking).:lol:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
#head#

Then I'd thought I better tidy my garage, fingers crossed I thought, I hope I can get the Gtv in with room to do the work. :confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car ready to go into the garage and is finally driven in and onto the specially made wooden ramps so that jacking the car up at the front will be easier.

Thats day one of the start of my restoration on my Gtv. I have figured that it will take fifty two days at six hours a day to complete my restoration.

A total of 312 hours, plenty:cool:

Anyone is more than welcome to come round to give me a hand or just to be nosey. I'll put the kettle on and make a cuppa. :thumbs:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What exzactly are you going to do Sean?:)
Well my friend, lots need doing. Mainly minor things and one or two major things.

Its such a nice car to use during the winter months and I will only use her during the summer months.

I have to do the following and probably more...

1. Some of the laquer is begining to peel of the left rear wing panel.
2. Front bumper iron is cracked and needs replacing and then the front bumper needs aligning properly.
3. There is the usual very, very small oil leaks near the oil filter area.
4. Gearbox oil is leaking slightly and probably the clutch bearing needs replacing.
5. Full service.
6. Complete new exhaust.
7. New pioneer, bluetooth unit.
8. New armrest for the interior.
9. Full waxoil.
10. Lower sill covers are starting to turn pink with age.
11. Airbag light needs turning off.
12. Car to be made ready for new MOT.
13. Original airbox unit to find and purchase.
14. Lower engine bay cover.

Thats all I can think of so far, but will probably find more bits to do. Loving this restoration already. Its been a while since I have done one.:)

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Where abouts are you? I'm also toying with the idea of a rolling restoration of my daily driver V6. My list is:

1. Borrow a compressor blast some waxoil underneath
2. Refurb 3 wheels. I think I can do two myself, but may need a pro for the third.
3. New rear bumpstops on both sides
4. New standard rear springs
5. Respray bonnet to get rid of a scratch (pro)
6. Remove a parking ding from one door (I'll have ago first but expecting to need a pro)
7. Cambelt service
8. New exhaust

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where abouts are you? I'm also toying with the idea of a rolling restoration of my daily driver V6. My list is:

1. Borrow a compressor blast some waxoil underneath
2. Refurb 3 wheels. I think I can do two myself, but may need a pro for the third.
3. New rear bumpstops on both sides
4. New standard rear springs
5. Respray bonnet to get rid of a scratch (pro)
6. Remove a parking ding from one door (I'll have ago first but expecting to need a pro)
7. Cambelt service
8. New exhaust
I'm on Cloverfields, near Tesco's in Theford. Where abouts are you?:thumbs:

If you need to get the cambelt done, go to Jamie Porter Alfa workshop based in Royston. Very good and highly recommended. As for the scratch on the bonnet, I can have a look at it for you before you go down the road of having it repsrayed and the same for the parking ding and the same for all three wheels. Really easy to do, just lots of patience required.

When I waxoil my car I'm going to get an extension tube that sits on top of the areosol can.

Sean:thumbs:

·
Registered
7,787 Posts
Sean, if you fiind a lower engine cover ill buy you a keg of beer, if you had got me two weks ago i would have been able to sort your airbox problem:( Anyways, good luck with the rest and im interested in a good pictoral and idiots guide on the lacquer work if possible please!?:)

PS: Is Barney your shadow?:lol:

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sean, if you fiind a lower engine cover ill buy you a keg of beer, if you had got me two weks ago i would have been able to sort your airbox problem:( Anyways, good luck with the rest and im interested in a good pictoral and idiots guide on the lacquer work if possible please!?:)

PS: Is Barney your shadow?:lol:
Your on for a keg of beer :), when I have finished the restoration I will definately have some beers. Hopefully I shouldn't have any problems finding an original airbox unit. Many thanks for your offer of help.:thumbs:

I'll shall do lots of pictorial guides to the things I am going to do. :thumbs: The laquer work I'll shall probably post on the 'How to do...' on the Gtv forum to help other owners. :)

Barney is definately my shadow :lol: always there for me, you'll be seeing more pictures of him next to my Gtv helping me in his own way ;)

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Look forward to following your restore project .When you say you are waxoiling it where would you say the 916 rust problems are .I am hoping to wax oil mine this spring I waxolied and hamerited my gtv6 and its still solid to this day

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Look forward to following your restore project .When you say you are waxoiling it where would you say the 916 rust problems are .I am hoping to wax oil mine this spring I waxolied and hamerited my gtv6 and its still solid to this day
Cheers I'll keep everyone posted :thumbs:.

I think the main area's to look for in the 916 is along behind the lower sill covers and where perhaps a careless handling of a trolley jack has dented the jacking points on the car, along the inner subframe underneath the car and the drainage holes in the doors etc etc, although I wont be wax oiling them, but making sure the drainage holes are clear with regular washing etc etc. They say the 916 is galvanised which helps alot and I'll be also checking the area's where the water gets trapped.

Thats good to hear the gtv6 is still solid, very rare these days:) I had a Porsche form the same period and used Dinitrol to protect the car. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I'm on Cloverfields, near Tesco's in Theford. Where abouts are you?:thumbs:

If you need to get the cambelt done, go to Jamie Porter Alfa workshop based in Royston. Very good and highly recommended. As for the scratch on the bonnet, I can have a look at it for you before you go down the road of having it repsrayed and the same for the parking ding and the same for all three wheels. Really easy to do, just lots of patience required.

When I waxoil my car I'm going to get an extension tube that sits on top of the areosol can.

Sean:thumbs:
Hi Sean, it is kind of you to offer to look but I'm about 30 miles away. Jamie Porter did the last cam belt but it is nearly due again on time. I need to take the door card off to adjust the window so I'm hoping I'll be able to gently manipulate the ding at the same time. I've had good experiences of diy wheel refurbs in the past so I'll have a go first and see how they end up. If they look poor I can always get a pro in.

The only area that looks a bit suspect is where the floor joins the sills - no problem yet but I want to get in with the waxoil first. I also had an old Porsche 944, but that didn't have a speck of rust anywhere.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Sean, it is kind of you to offer to look but I'm about 30 miles away. Jamie Porter did the last cam belt but it is nearly due again on time. I need to take the door card off to adjust the window so I'm hoping I'll be able to gently manipulate the ding at the same time. I've had good experiences of diy wheel refurbs in the past so I'll have a go first and see how they end up. If they look poor I can always get a pro in.

The only area that looks a bit suspect is where the floor joins the sills - no problem yet but I want to get in with the waxoil first. I also had an old Porsche 944, but that didn't have a speck of rust anywhere.
I had several Porsche's from the same period, no rust like your 944. Althought I had a white 944S that went like a rocket after 3000rpm :). Got to admit I do miss them and only a few years ago drove my 1980's Porsche down to the new Porsche museum at Stuttgart. Didn't miss a beat. :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 409 Posts