Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Nice to see such attention to detail, it looks stunning, 10/10
Thanks Steve... another local 916 owner!
I'm just down the road in Bridgend.
We should arrange a GTV get together.
That is once I have her back on the road!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Managed to get the car back on all fours today... After about 2 years in the air!
I did have my heart in my mouth at times while I was lowering her very slowly as the suspension was creaking and groaning!

Back to work now tomorrow so another week away from the garage!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Thanks John...
I found a local guy for the powder coating, I am a regular visitor now and on first name terms!
Here's a pic of the underneath today after bolting the cat to the front pipes!

Lovely work.

When i am in the market for some "powder" (sniff) I will get in touch for the recommendation!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Great to see your write up Steelman it looks amazing. And I wish I had mine even remotely near back on its wheels. I'm worried I haven't taken enough photo's so good to know you might have one or two if a get stuck!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Great to see your write up Steelman it looks amazing. And I wish I had mine even remotely near back on its wheels. I'm worried I haven't taken enough photo's so good to know you might have one or two if a get stuck!
Thanks V6coop!
Be glad to help out a fellow GTV owner.... if I can... anytime you are stuck, just ask.
I have had to rely on lots of owners/mechanics for advice on my resto journey!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Great read, thanks! Thinking of stripping all the underseal off the underside of mine when it gets a bit warmer. Don't suppose you have any additional photos before/during/after of when you did it? What products did you use for it?

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Great read, thanks! Thinking of stripping all the underseal off the underside of mine when it gets a bit warmer. Don't suppose you have any additional photos before/during/after of when you did it? What products did you use for it?
Yup... I have hundreds of photos....
This is sort of before... I'm a bit restricted with space so I can't always get a great picture.

I found the best way to get all underseal off was by scraping it with a wood chisel. It is time consuming though... and I'm sure there's a better way to do it, but this worked for me.
Any remaining underseal was removed using a soft wire wheel attachment to a drill.
This is a picture with it all removed...

The floor was in pretty good shape with only a few small holes... drain holes and around fuel and brake line holders.
You can see in pic areas I've treated with rust converter - Fertan.
I then painted rust spots with POR15 rust preventative coating followed by POR15 top coat. Then hand painted a couple of coats of waxoyl underseal.
This is it all done ready for exhaust to be reattached.

Hope this helps....
If you need anything else then please don't hesitate in asking!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well...
Today I finally took the plunge and tried restarting my GTV after what must be at least an 18month lay up.
To say I was nervous was an understatement.
So after double and triple checking everything I went for it....
Here is a little video of what happened...

I am one relieved man... she started on the button. No visible leaks and fan kicked in when she got up to temperature.
Now really looking forward to getting her back out on the open road... hopefully she'll be ready for the summer months!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Sounds great! What exhaust have you got?
Haha.... that's because I still have to fit the rear section of exhaust.
It only has up to the cat fitted.
I did fit equal length front pipes and sports cat mind....
This is them prior to fitting....

I have an aftermarket quad rear section to re- fit. I have no idea how it's all going to sound once back together!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts