Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here we go then… thought I’d better start my resto thread before I forget all the things that have been done. It’s been a long haul as I had other personal challenges thrown at me throughout and it turns out the car has actually saved my sanity!!! I’ll expalin later!!!
It all started out over 4years ago now with what turned out to be a one very rusty drivers side spring pan…

I started the hunt for a decent replacement and eventually managed to get two brand new ones ready to change and get the GTV back on the road. However In the meantime I had read several articles about refurbing the rear suspension/subframe and this had planted an ever growing seed. After seeing the following….

And compared it with mine….

I knew which way I was going to be heading!
I would also like to point out this was all going to have to happen in my decidely narrow single garage where I could just about manage to work on one end of the car at a time.

Just after I started stripping all the rear suspension and subframe ready to remove from the car I was unfortunately diagnosed with Ocular Melanoma (eye cancer)in my left eye…. Understandably everything came to a halt.
Treatment took several months and its been a constant toing and froing since back and forth hospitals in Liverpool and Southampton which considering I live in South Wales has been quite challenging. While going through the above, constantly on my mind was my car. How was I going to get it back on the road… what bits was I going to buy next etc.
The car in the end has proved to be my saving grace… I know it sounds stupid but it has stopped me going insane. Instead of worrying about my illness and what lies ahead, all that was going through my mind was the car!!! So owning an Alfa actually has health benefits!!!
What being ill also gave me was time to organise everything and in the end I decided to put everything back to standard with brand new genuine Alfa bits with all the standard rose bushes….shocks and springs.
Here is everything I bought ready to fit….

Even though not technically needed I also decided to powdercoat the subframe. Just looks so good!

Did have a major disaster at this point though! Unbeknown to me the dog leg arms have slightly different size bushes at either end and even though it looks correct it the frame, as I tourqed up the bolt ….SNAP! Frame snapped!

I literally sat on the garge floor with tears running down my face… set me back months by the time I’d located… bought and powdercoated another frame. Ah well ….you live and learn.
Anyway back to where I left off… I started re-assembling the frame in my garden on my Black and Decker workbench!!! It stayed like this for a good couple of months …. Lucky I have a very understanding wife!!

Now all ready to fit back on the car. Easily said than done…. After much jacking and supporting with the help of Dad we managed to get it all back in place.

Now with everything back in place….It should have been off to the MOT centre and back on to the road. However I can remember, while lying on my back on my garage floor,looking at this stunning new setup with newly treated,painted and waxoyled rear floor then looking towards the front of the car….
Dam it…. I knew what was coming….I am going to have to do the rest of the car.
Here is the finished back suspension..... bit better than the original....

Next the floor....

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Floor Resto :
So started stripping all the floor back to the paint. I tried several different methods and I found the best thing to work for me was a “blunt wood chisel” it took quite some time as you can expect….By the way I hate underseal it hides so many horrors!

While doing the above I found that my fuel lines were beyond repair and actually started leaking.
After looking at all aftermarket replacements and alternatives I eventually went for good second hand replacements which involved a trip to London!

Only disappointing bit for me was I had to cut and joint them due to the lack of working height of the car . I do have a rubbish garage!!!
One thing to point out to fellow GTV owners check your brake line and fuel line plastic clamps that are screwed to the floor. Water must collect around their base and rots the floor. I had two that had rotted through the floor and others would have followed suit shortly.

I treated all the rust spots with Fertan rust converter followed by several coats of POR15. Finished off with a couple of layers of waxoyl.
Also get those side sills off and check behind for any rust issues…. Fortunately for me mine were ok only needing minor work and the ususal POR15 painting.
Now all the floor was stripped and painted I’d reached the front subframe.

Front Resto :
The front end refurb has just seemed to be never ending… always uncovering something unsightly.
Managed to get the Front subframe unbolted from the car…well apart from the one steering rack bolt. However much releasol and heat I applied I could not for the life of me get the bolt to move that was until it snapped in the rack. So now had to get rack off the car as well. I did get the snapped bolt removed eventually by a local engineering firm after failing myself.
With rack removed this also highlighted badly rusted power steering pipes so these were also removed. Unable to find replacements, so again rubbed down,treated and painted.(Hope they last!)
Started to rub down subframe ready for powdercoating… dam it another hole!

Back to my second hand parts source and a suitable relacement found and sent off to the powdercoater.

Front lower arms repainted along with top mounts. New shocks and springs fitted.
Various new clamps and brackets sourced from Alfa and Gary Fisher(A godsend to us 916 owners!!!)

Another thing worth doing is get those wheel arch liners off… get any hidden rust sorted before replacing.
Had to remove front bumper to refit a new oil cooler bracket , surprise surprise more rust. Another area worth checking… your radiator support mounts.
Both radiator and air con condensor removed and any rust spots given the ususal treatment.

Radiator treated and painted. Air con condensor has already been replaced in my ownership.Pipes removed and cleaned up new seals fitted when replacing.
Radiator mount…Radiator fan mount… airfilter housing bracket… relay mount… alarm siren bracket all sent to powder coaters along with the subframe.

Oh yeh…. While everything was off the car and the differential housing was exposed decided now would be an opitune time to fit a Quaife diff. I think at this point I was starting to think this car is never going to work again!!!

Think that more or less brings us up to date… Rack,radiators and pipes, shocks, springs, driveshafts, hubs have all been reffited. Subframe now re-attached to the car and nice shiny Cybox Eqal length front pipes and sports cat fitted .
Hopefully this week I am going to fire her up. Need to lower her off to double check all her fluids… get the prayer mat out and keep everything crossed that the old Busso starts…. Its been over 12months since I have last heard her dulsit tones.
I shall keep you posted.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Stunning work.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well done mate, a man after my own heart...and from South Wales too!
Cheers CGC....
Yep.... South Wales born and bred! :giggle:
Looking forward to getting the car back out our great driving roads.... well when the sun re-appears that is! ;)

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Really nice work. I enjoy these types of pictures, always something to learn. Looking forward to updates.
Thank You Adrian.....
I have literally hundreds of pictures... taking loads of them as I go along.
You wont believe the number of times I have had to refer back to them to check how things fit.:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Thanks..... Its been a real "Labour of Love" for me.
I have learn't so much along the way having only been an occasional mechanic up to this point.
Would I do it again? :unsure:
I'm not sure... not in my current garage anyway! :ROFLMAO:
If I had £1 for every time I’ve said “never again” I’d be a very rich man. When I first tried to service my GTV I was totally confused by the lack of points and distributer. It’s been a steep learning curve but greatly helped by an incredible community of fellow enthusiasts who are always willing to help.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Interesting and uplifting story, and yes I agree that being able to think of car related projects helps to distract from other shite going on in your life. Now that must be better for your health than sitting worrying!

I will stay on the lookout for your updates, what you have done looks fantastic.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another 100 spent with Mr Fisher this morning. Think that's the last of the purchases for the GTV now... although I'm sure I've said that before!
I'm sure I've bought some of the bits on the list before.... but for the life of me I can't find them. No doubt I've put them somewhere safe.... anyone else have this problem?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
121 Posts
Great write-up and job. It’s getting the confidence to tackle these jobs. I always worry that I’ll get it to pieces easily enough, but not back together, thus ending up with and expensive Italian ornament filling the garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great write-up and job. It’s getting the confidence to tackle these jobs. I always worry that I’ll get it to pieces easily enough, but not back together, thus ending up with and expensive Italian ornament filling the garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks....
You're right ArchAlfa... when I started I was very naive. Don't get me wrong I know one end of the spanner from another but I had never taken anything in like this.
The more you do though the more confident you get.
The other issue you get is time. Just finding enough time to tackle all the jobs is very difficult.
I am determined to get my "Italian Ornament" back on the road this year ready for a couple of car shows!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great post and pictures. Well done.

That’s my aim over the next 12 months with my 2005 JTS. Tackling the underneath.
Your powder coating looks great.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Brilliant write up and we'll done for a great result. I have gone down the same road and luckily my gtv's have rewarded me for my efforts by giving so much enjoyment to me...... They are part of my life now.... I am sure your gtv will reward you too in years ahead. 🍀👍

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great post and pictures. Well done.

That’s my aim over the next 12 months with my 2005 JTS. Tackling the underneath.
Your powder coating looks great.
Thanks John...
I found a local guy for the powder coating, I am a regular visitor now and on first name terms!
Here's a pic of the underneath today after bolting the cat to the front pipes!

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Brilliant write up and we'll done for a great result. I have gone down the same road and luckily my gtv's have rewarded me for my efforts by giving so much enjoyment to me...... They are part of my life now.... I am sure your gtv will reward you too in years ahead.
Cheers!
You sound like you've done quite a few Phase3....
I can't see me ever getting rid of her so hopefully many years of enjoyment to come!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts