Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quickie........on the rear of my 1999 GTV the passanger side bush has worn and so the arm is touching the subframe.........can i just change the bushes or does it have to be the whole arm,....... The drivers side looks new but must have been done shortly before i bought the car....

Is it a DIY job for a beginner ???

·
Registered
916 Posts
It's the whole arm, unless you want to go the Powerflex route, in which case you'll have to do the corresponding arm on the other side. Which arm is it? If it's the "shock" arm, that's fairly easy. The spring support arm is another matter though, and I wouldn't recommend trying to change this yourself if you have little mechanical experience.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I tidied up and powerflexed both spring pans over xmas, and it wasnt too bad, a reasonable swear factor re-fitting though.. required a mm or so taking off each side of the bush and then a trolley jack and lots of copper grease to ease it into place.

Very satisfying taking the rustly old arms off, giving them a good going over with a twist brush on an angry grinder then re-painting.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Some pics of what i think needs doing....first two pics are of passanger side and the third pic is the drivers side.... I have little experience in mechanics like this but would liek to have a go at doing a few jobs or what would be a good price for a garage to do it???

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Those swing arms are about £100 each, and should be reasonably easy to fit. This is cheaper than polybushing your existing arms and much less hassle. I doubt a garage would charge more than 2 hrs labour to fit.

DIY would require a decent socket set and some spanners (19 and 21mm - uh I think) and a strong back! the big nut that connects it to the spring pan and hub is a bstard!

Swinging arm complete for Alfa Romeo gtv parts and spares

If the big spring pan arms need doing too, then they are over £200 each for new ones, but much less for the poly bushes.

Auto Lusso will fit polybushed and powdercoated set of arms, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Alfa-Romeo-GT...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item35a4abb5d1

Is a bit of a trek from Devon though :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just did the complete back suspension on my v6, took me the better part of two days to do the whole thing. Old ones off, pressing old bushes out, new superflex bushes in and the hardest part was to put them back. Took a lot of work and f-words and a couple of battle scars to do it. The cost was some 180 for bushes, 100 for a shop press and the work was free as i did it myself. And I still have the press. A lot cheaper than new arms all around which would have cost some 7-800.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys........... So can i just replace the arms then? Do they just unbolt adn then rebolt on the new ones....If its just that swing arm thing then it does not look too complicated!!!

·
Registered
328 Posts
94 Mattda
I have a pair of V6 rear arms that I was about to put on eBay. I am in Plymouth for the next 5 days (long story) and if you want them......£40.00 sound alright?
I was going to use them as an upgrade on my 2.0 GTV but ended up Polybushing everything.
They have been checked, cleaned up and black Hammerited. PM me and let me know

J

·
0 Posts
I did my spring pans with powerflex at the weekend.. Easy.. My little sister could have done it. Undo and knock out the big bolt that goes through the upright .. spring just falls out, no need for a spring compresser. Undo and knock out the bolt that goes through the subframe. pull the the springpan arm out of the subframe. Put an ordinary blowlamp on the old bushes, the old rubber bush will just fall out after about five mins. That leaves the metal sleeve in the arm, it's very thin, only about one millimeter thick, put the springpan arm in a vice, thread the blade of an hacksaw through the hole. Saw most of the way through the sleeve, try not to cut into the spring arm. A few scratches won't matter. Get a small sharp chisel and whack the sleeve out of the arm, clean up the inside of the hole with a bit of emery paper.
Do the same other end.
Smear copper ease into the hole. Whack the plastic bushes in from either side, until they are fully home. On the inner bush.. knock the metal inner bush into the plastic bush.. NOW THIS IS THE IMPORTANT BIT!. you will see that the metal inner bush is about two millimeters shorter than the plastic bushes. So make sure that when the inner bush is in place you have one millimeter of plastic bush standing proud either side..GEDDIT! Now some garages then use a hydraulic jack to force the bush into the subframe..I don't like this because it will put a massive longtitudinal load onto the subframe bracket, and there's one Aussie guy on here who snapped a subframe bracket off doing it this way, the fact of the matter is the plastic bushes are two millimeters to big for the subframe, but the metal inner bush is bang on. So get some abrasive paper put it onto a flat surface and lap down the plastic bushes until you just start to scratch the inner metal bush, keep it even as you can. constantly testing for fit in the subframe as you do it. It should be a tight hand push fit into the subframe. Smear copper ease onto the ends of the inner bush and hand push it into place locating the bolt as you go. Put the nut on loose and make sure that the arm it free to pivot. Do the same on the outer end.
When assembled torque everything up...
Tools needed.....socket set..spanners..torque wrench..blowlamp..small cold chisel..hacksaw.. hammer.. emery..flat surface.. vice or workmate or something.
When it's done it's brilliant.. feels like a new car.
Think that's about it..Little sister's doing the next one.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Class post jons! :lol:

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've used Jons method to replace bushes and it works well, but try burning the bushes out it the open not sitting in your garage drinking tea, a lung full of burnt rubber isn't advised.
I didn't file the bushes down once in the arm, I trapped them in the vice between to flat pieces of metal, left them for an hour and it squashed the under just enough to get them in with washing up liquid as lube (Polybush that make the ones for Land rovers recommend Fairy liquid!)

J

·
0 Posts
I like Goudys 'squeeze in a vice method'.. I'll try it next time.
Ian is right, some people try to make it sound like rocket science, It's only a suspension bush for crying out loud! It's just made out of stiffer stuff. And a new Powerflex bush, fitted by whatever method is a hell of a lot better than a knackered Alfa bush.
I have to use Swarfega as 'her indoors' is fed up with oily hand marks on the Fairy Liquid bottle..
Do we all agree on that??

J

·
0 Posts
Oh yea!! Goudy is right.. burn the old ones out in the fresh air..it made me feel like I'd been smoking something that I smoked back in the seventies. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I wish I'd thought of the vice trick when doing mine, a lot of fairy liquid and cursing eventually got them in! The thing that irritated me is why are they too big in the first place? The part is specific to the car and it's not like they are cheap for what they are are, they should really fit properly without modification.

·
Registered
4 Posts
94 Mattda
I have a pair of V6 rear arms that I was about to put on eBay. I am in Plymouth for the next 5 days (long story) and if you want them......£40.00 sound alright?
I was going to use them as an upgrade on my 2.0 GTV but ended up Polybushing everything.
They have been checked, cleaned up and black Hammerited. PM me and let me know
Might you still have the arms? My GTV2l just failed mot..bushes worn on both swingarms

·
Registered
16 Posts
A tip when installing poly bushes. Poly bushes tend to squeak after a while. To help this cut a small chamfer on the inner end of the bushes so that they form a vee when they come together. This forms a resevoir . Put enough grease in to fill this resevoir when they go in. This helps a lot to stop squeaking.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts