Alfa Romeo Forum banner

GTV Rear screen demister fix.

Tags
demister fix
66K views 234 replies 72 participants last post by  HFStuart 
Hi guys (and gals) !

I have finally taken a closer look at mine after 3-4 years of demistifier not working. Wasn't exactly on the top of my "to do" list :lol:

BUT... It is turning out to be a bit more tricky than I thought. My car is a left hand drive TB version from 1996 (Italian market version) and I have a service manual from ebay. According to the wiring diagram mine has, or should I say should have, a timed relay? It is hard for me to know since the relay is missing. Also the location of the fuse is different from even a 1997 ts model I saw a picture of recently.

Here is what I have found out so far:
I thought it would be a breeze to fix; Plug in a relay and then do the mod. But I have not been able find the type it should be. I have tried the circuit with a "normal" basic relay and light comes on & 12v at demistifier as long as button is pressed. As soon as I let go it turns off.

So basicly what I'm asking is: Do you know if maybe early versions had a timer in the relay, or should I find a separate controlbox somewhere? Where?

If it is a timer relay then how the heck do I find one not knowing the code. Local shop looked at the schematic and said it is a timer relay according to the drawing (thats what it looks like to me as well), but he has no idea of the type or where to get one. Thanks!:confused:

Here is a picture of the manual, hope it is ok to post it here?

I would appreciate any help you can offer:)

It changed in May 1997 together with the fuse box.

You'll have the timer relay as you've found. Later cars got a device called the 'Integrated Services Unit' ( N82 ) which controls lots of things including the rear window.

If I'm right, the part number is 7686773...FIAT ePER

That diagram may be incorrect though. If ou look, you'll see a number of parts labelled '6'!
Thanks for your input pkr:cool: Only problem is that schematic must be incorrect if the relay is timed. The number you suggest (and I also ran in to it in eper, e-bay, ...) is not timed and is used all over! That's why it is so bloody confusing and I'm not getting anywhere with this:mad: Why can't they tell us what the relays are in the user/service manual:rant:

Someone must know what this relay is!? I've tried casting nets all over the www to ask people about this. Unfortunately gtvs, especially early versions are extremely rare here in Finland as are Alfas in general so running in to one at a salvage yard would be like winning the lottery jackpot. I think if I can't find someone who knows, my demistifier will never work:(

Of course making a timer myself could be an option. And having the timer adjustable :D But maybe not. Not worth the trouble I recon.

I think I just made some moderate progress! I found an old thread where similar discussion is taking place, only regarding a 1993 155! So pkr you were right it was used in different models.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-155/61186-heated-rear-window.html

Now the problem is that part number is 60545405. But what is the actual type, and where to get one for a reasonable price. 155 was fairly common at a point here so a used one just might be possibility. But how far will a used one get me when this is a known issue that the timer fails->fusebox melts. So I prefer a new one if possible.

Anyone know the type and/or have a source

I got it working... sort of. Looks like I need a new rear window:( The tab has gotten pulled out by previous owner and my silverglue trick seems to have too high resistance. But with the relay I got it working so the light comes on and I can measure 12v at the demistifier. I will not be getting a new window anytime soon though as they seem to be hard to find ans expensive.

But the relay I found on e-bay for I think around 30€ and it is the correct one. So in case anyone elese strugles with this issue there is indeed an error in eper:rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.