Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
The other week i accidentally reversed into a concrete filled steel pole,the type they have to protect cash points etc,i immediately got out and had a look and apart from a little yellow paint residue from off the pole everything looked ok,last week i noticed that the gap down the rear quarter panel where the bumper meets the rest of the car on the right side was wider than that on the left side,its not a major problem and if you was'nt looking for it ,it would probably go unnoticed,but i know its there!...the question is i'm not sure if the bump has done more damage than i first thought,it wasnt a heavy collision, could it have dislodged the bumper?,how easy it it to remove the rear bumper and re-align it?...i've had the car almost a year,and it makes me smile every time i drive it:)

Any advice would be great,thanks.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
The rear bumper is a bit of a pain to remove but nothing horrendous.

From memory, you need to remove the rear lights and from there you can get to the 2 allen bolts that hold it in place. I think they are 10mm (if somebody else could confirm?) They tend to be pretty tight so I'd douse them in WD40 for a bit and you will need a bit of leverage to undo them so either use a closed ring spanner to give the allen key some leverage or use a socket set with an allen attachment.

Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Just bear in mind that, on every GTV and spider I've ever seen (maybe 50....mostly spiders) the right-side rear bumper alignment is always a bit off when compared to the left side - I didn't believe this at first, until my friendly indy pointed out exactly the same mis-alignment on every GTV/Spider in the car park.

Doesn't mean you haven't moved it, but it could just be the "normal" misalignment you've noticed.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that Red7,to be honest i didnt think that i had bumped it hard enough to dislodge anything,i just hadnt noticed the misalignment before,its not a major problem,and if they're all like it then i think it best to leave it,does anyone else have any views on this?...

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Thanks for that Red7,to be honest i didnt think that i had bumped it hard enough to dislodge anything,i just hadnt noticed the misalignment before,its not a major problem,and if they're all like it then i think it best to leave it,does anyone else have any views on this?...
I have two Spiders and both of them have the bumper protruding from the body on the right-hand-side (i.e. the flat part behind the wheel), and sitting flush on the left-hand-side.

Hard to believe they would have been made that way but possible I guess! :lol:

-Alex

1 - 5 of 5 Posts