Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2000 GTV lusso in a Pearlescent or Iridescent blue/gold/green! paint code 414-b.
The car is in for a complete re-spray and I have been todl that the paint is no longer obtainable. Does anyone know where this product may be available from?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Ha ! Love the disclaimer at the bottom of the advert.

Another option might be a local mixer someone like Adrian at Nu Agane in Bedford who might offer a more personal service..;)

JS

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
I've heard this is the most difficult colour to blend in. Once saw a GTV that had an Aero spoiler fitted and the paint shop had 3 goes at painting it and it still was miles out :( I'm told its all to do with what colour you paint the primer first, i think with this colour its a sort of white ( if this makes any sence lol )

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Nuvola Blue & Victoria Blue are 2 colours that are very difficult to match, near impossible, especially due to fade.

Many places won't supply the original solvent based paints as it's against the law, hence the disclaimer, & the water based ones have labels saying 'for repaints only' as they won't guarantee a match.

Clive

·
Banned
2,925 Posts
I've heard this is the most difficult colour to blend in. Once saw a GTV that had an Aero spoiler fitted and the paint shop had 3 goes at painting it and it still was miles out :( I'm told its all to do with what colour you paint the primer first, i think with this colour its a sort of white ( if this makes any sence lol )
Yeah I've heard that too, extremely difficult to just paint 1 panel :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The problem is that all of the mixed paints that suppliers now offer, do not match the original. I am really looking for any original Alfa paint that is lying around... there must be a few tins left in the world somewhere!

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Have a search in the 156 section. Some fella there managed to get a spot-on door repaint on his Nuvola blue '56. It was a while ago though... but the garage he used may still be able to find stock.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
The problem is that all of the mixed paints that suppliers now offer, do not match the original. I am really looking for any original Alfa paint that is lying around... there must be a few tins left in the world somewhere!
it still won't match due to UV fade, which is why paint is mixed to match a fuel flap or similar but with these pearls it's just not possible to get it 100% right. We've just had 3 attempts to match Victoria Blue....all cr*p & I'm not prepared to repaint the whole car for a couple of small blemishes!

Clive

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am having the whole car totally re-sprayed, the car has been stripped, I dont have to match the colour, just replicate it to when I bought it new 12 years ago !

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I am having the whole car totally re-sprayed, the car has been stripped, I dont have to match the colour, just replicate it to when I bought it new 12 years ago !
Sorry, I'd forgotten that you were repainting.

I'm not sure Alfa ever supplied anything other than touch ups.

In that case the paint from Prospray on Amazon, from Mike Gill's link, should be ok.

Buy a tin & get the paintshop to test it 1st.

Clive

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
More info

I've just checked with my painter before buying a tin of Victoria Blue & he assures me it's no better than we've already had mixed up, 3 lots all not matching the car.

These pearl effect colours have to be painted in 3 stages; a base colour, then the pearl effect & then lacquer. So a tin of ready mixed base & pearl won't match but might be ok for a repaint.

It's the amount of pearl, the number of layers, that is applied that gives it the desired effect/match.

Which is why it states on these tins 'for resprays only'.

When he painted various panels on a Nuvola Blue GTV of mine he ended up getting the actual paint mixer supplier to come down & spray the car's panels. Apparently they tried 14 different test sprays onto large cards before getting a match. End result was fantastic but took a long time.

So buy a tin, have a test area or spare panel/door whatever sprayed to check that you're happy with the colour before painting the whole car.

Clive

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Have a word with Stuart who runs the AROC Cornish section. He had both doors of his GTV sprayed and after a couple of difficulties, he now has a brilliant match.
He took his Nuvola GTV to Milan for the 100 year celebrations and when he came home he decided he wanted to remove the doors as 'trophies/sculptures' as they each had the numbered sticker he was given at Monza. He then got doors from a scrapper and had them colour matched.

·
Banned
2,925 Posts
Hi, I have a 2000 GTV lusso in a Pearlescent or Iridescent blue/gold/green! paint code 414-b.
The car is in for a complete re-spray and I have been todl that the paint is no longer obtainable. Does anyone know where this product may be available from?
What's the difference between 414-b and 414-a ? mine is 414-a

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Mine's a Victoria blue and the bonnet really needs a re-spray it's got so many chips on it now. So I guess I'll have to put up with it not matching or have a complete re-spray. I knew i should have got a red or black one.:lol: just my luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks to everyone who has posted, it has been a great help. Basically I have found out that you need a knowledgeable sprayshop to work with this colour, the purchasing of the paint is not the issue. I will let you know what it looks like when they have finished !

1 - 19 of 19 Posts