Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've had my 2.0 TS GTV a week now and bought it knowing I needed to essentially treat it as a project and spend some money on getting it good.

Stuff I knew I'd have to deal with when I bought it were a stuck aerial, the airbag light and the engine management light (service history shows it's a cam position sensor fault?) and a new timing belt and variator. It's off for it's NCT (Irish MOT) shortly so I can find out anything else that needs doing to get it through the test before the current one runs out, but I'm hopeful enough.

I do have a few questions though if you can bear with me?

1. There is no grab handle the drivers door side, and I originally thought it had been ripped off, but from reading on here it appears it doesn't come as standard? Just has two clips instead of the fittings?

2. I can get my aerial up and down if I do it manually, does that bode well for giving it a good spray with silicone, or should I look at replacing it?

3. The engine temp takes an age to warm up, heating vents are good and kick in quickly but the temp stays low on the engine for a good ten miles, is this the same thermostat issue as was on the 156? I.e. it needs to be replaced?

4. The clutch "biting point" compared to my 156 is very high and the brakes are much softer, got a shock when I first had to really use them, is this normal.?

5. I broke the door handle closing my door on my coat, so my mechanic is looking at that this week and replacing the door check strap too, as I've the Creak halfway through opening the door. My drivers door window rattles something awful doing city driving, and halfway up closing it sounds like it is moving, so I was going to ask him to check the fittings for it and tighten then, does that sound a good idea?

6. I've been looking into how to do basic detailing, once I get her through the nct, then I'll look to repair a rust past on the rear wheel sill, and a really good detail,( by a professional) then want to keep doing it myself, any products you recommend?

7. I'm pondering whether to replace the original alloys post nct with 156 teledials and spacers, or to get the alloys refurbed? Thoughts?

8. Finally, the rear of the current exhaust looks as if it's been battered off a few ramps, any suggestions for replacements?

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I can help with a few of those -

1. That's correct, only the passenger got a grab handle ( I don't know if this was true for later cars though ). The 'clips' are actually screw covers as they help fasten the roof lining.

2. May be worth opening it up first to see if it is repairable - http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-gtv-and-916-spider/306676-ive-fixed-my-aerial.html#post4442111

3. Probably.

4. Could be a sign that the clutch has all but worn out :( . It's hydraulic so no adjustment possible. Probably best not to worry about it for now. The brakes do stop the car when necessary, they just don't seem to bite. They are also prone to fade in heavy use. People tend to use different brake bads to improve things in that respect.

5. Probably worth downloading the manual and printing off the window adjustment procedure for him. http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-gtv-and-916-spider/115605-gtv-workshop-repair-manual-3.html#post4065996 . You want volume 2 'Bodywork'. It's section 70 page 10 through to 12/2 ( that's actually 15 pages although the last couple you probably don't need ).

·
Registered
219 Posts
Thermostat is a common issue, not difficult to replace so just do it. Do a search on the forum.
Clutch slave cylinder should be your first port of call, it may be that the clutch is worn but start with the slave. Also, well worth changing the gearbox oil. Easy to do once the undertray is off. Again do a search.
Brakes: Lost track how many posts on this one. The fundamental problem is the pads, standard ones last a million years but are rubbish. Simple solution is to upgrade to something like EBC Green Stuff or similar. Quite a few have upgraded disks as well, worth considering if your disks are in trouble.

·
Registered
219 Posts
One more thing: the clutch and brakes are seperate systems but share the same header, whichever you tackle first, its worth giving both systems a jolly good flush. An easybleed is a big help (pretty much essential for the clutch).

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Temperature guage may just be a seasonal thing. My 2.0 L TS is just the same at the moment and also takes about 10 mins/10 miles to heat up, whereas in the warmer months its a lot quicker to reach temperature. Aerial, (if its original spec), has a plastic section which coils and uncoils to put the aerial up and down. Mine was snapped so replaced entire unit. Also the telescopic steel tubes of the aerial itself need regular lubrication otherwise the tubes do not slide easily within each other

·
Registered
236 Posts
Temperature guage may just be a seasonal thing. My 2.0 L TS is just the same at the moment and also takes about 10 mins/10 miles to heat up
3) Hear, hear :). I have never known a car built after 1990 to have so much movement in a temperature gauge. I think this really must be the number one thing that freaks any new GTV\ Spider owner the most.

5) Did you take you door card off? the cable just pinged out from the handle mate, sure of it. Shame to pay someone an hours labour to fix this when you can do it yourself :thumbs:.

7) I assume yours is a phase1? why ruin the old skool look of the GTV? its the thing that attracts me the most to the car is that it looks old skool with these wheels :cool:

8) Keep it standard, just the way an old Alfa should be.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Also the telescopic steel tubes of the aerial itself need regular lubrication otherwise the tubes do not slide easily within each other
I'm not arguing with you, but the manual states the electric aerial 'should not be lubricated'. Seems a strange thing to (not) suggest but there must be a reason :confused:

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
I'm not arguing with you, but the manual states the electric aerial 'should not be lubricated'. Seems a strange thing to (not) suggest but there must be a reason :confused:
lmao @ manual

silicon spray get used to it......................... its gona be a good friend

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
5) Did you take you door card off? the cable just pinged out from the handle mate, sure of it. Shame to pay someone an hours labour to fix this when you can do it yourself :thumbs:.

7) I assume yours is a phase1? why ruin the old skool look of the GTV? its the thing that attracts me the most to the car is that it looks old skool with these wheels :cool:
Haven't had a chance Jimmy, up to my eyes in work hitting sixty plus hours per week, was working last Sat, might give it a go tomorrow :)

I finally got the car washed today, and omg the difference it made to the wheels and bodywork, it looks much better, looking forward to getting it looking even better :) Car is a phase 2 I think, it's a 00? It has the silver central console? Anyway I'm liking the alloys much more now they are clean :D, they need a little work though :)

Just checked my service history and the clutch and slave cylinder were both replaced between 98 and 100k miles, car is at 111k now, I think it might be my not being used to driving it, I stalled it a couple of times the first day I drove it in heavy city traffic, so I took my time today and the clutch/accelerator seemed much better, patience is a virtue :lol: I've not driven the 156 for a couple of months, and I've been driving the other halfs Citroen C5, so that's possibly it.

Thanks everybody!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
5. Probably worth downloading the manual and printing off the window adjustment procedure for him. http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-gtv-and-916-spider/115605-gtv-workshop-repair-manual-3.html#post4065996 . You want volume 2 'Bodywork'. It's section 70 page 10 through to 12/2 ( that's actually 15 pages although the last couple you probably don't need ).
Thanks to you all, I can't access this link, is it just me?

Anyhow, the door is fixed, the bowden cable was completely snapped, and had to be replaced:eek:

Next up is to send it in for an NCT (our MOT) and see if there are any issues other than the obvious at the moment, e.g. passenger and fuel injector light, which I may try to clear myself if I get a cable on time, I have the software downloaded :) Big enough service due then regardless, timing belt/variator, change of engine/gearbox oil, change of thermostat, replacement of check strap (didn't arrive on time this time), possibly getting the window bolts tightened to stop rattling.

Hopefully the NCT doesn't show up anything too disastrous other than what is known, will be checking the windscreen washer bottle/pump over the next week to see if I can get the wipers working :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts