Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's my Alfa Romeo 916 GTV 2.0 TwinSpark, with a GTV numberplate. It's a late Phase Two model, registered on 17 October 2002. The mileage is at 112,323
The expensive jobs were carried out three years/8,700 miles ago when I had the timing belt replaced, along with the balancer shaft, water pump, auxiliary belt, and auxiliary belt tensioner. I've owned this car since May 2015 and I've got invoices for anything I've bought.
It has a stainless steel exhaust from the cat to the back of the car.
The front and rear discs and pads have been replaced in the last few thousand miles, as have the tyres. It has four Pirelli PZeros.
As this is the Lusso, it has a black Momo leather interior that's in great condition, with no rips, holes or tears.
There's some surface rust on one of the rear panels, and a few scratches and blemishes, but otherwise, the bodywork is straight and the engine and gearbox are good and strong.
It's a reluctant sale, but he failed the MoT today and I can't afford the repairs as I'm saving up for a new kitchen so unfortunately have to sell my 'Alfie'. He is driveable but I'd recommend you tow it or put it on a low loader due to the anti roll bar being a 'dangerous' fault.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi, you have not included a price.

Also looking at the MOT failure report, there are considerably more issues, some of them serious, with the Alfa.
If the many previous years MOT advisories had been dealt with at the time of notification, this MOT failure would have been for considerably less major faults.
That's why they are put on the MOT as advisories, to advise the owner that there are areas that you are advised need repairing or replacing, before they become major faults, or even dangerous faults, which means that the car is unfit to drive on the public highway.
The DVLA etc, are immediately aware of these issues and the status of the vehicle, these details are then made available to the county police force in the vehicles registered area and they then enter the vehicle details onto their database, and if picked up via patrol vehicles, it is stopped and impounded, due to being a dangerous vehicle and driving a vehicle on the public highway without insurance.
The vehicles insurance is also very likely to be null and void if the vehicle is involved in any accident.
An ANPR camera recognition will result in a large fine and points, due to using a dangerous unroadworthy vehicle on the public highway and again no insurance.
This could have serious consequences on keeping your driving licence(points), a possible retest, if you lose your licence. Being refused insurance due to policy cancellation and/or much higher premiums and the possibility of being prosecuted for knowingly driving an unroadworthy vehicle on the public highway.
You as the current owner of the vehicle, and being aware of all of the issues with the vehicle, are also required by law to notify any prospective purchasers of all of the issues and faults with the vehicle, otherwise in the event of any accidents etc, you can and probably would be held responsible.
Obviously, if the dangerous and major faults are replaced or repaired and an MOT pass is issued this will notify the DVLA etc, that the vehicle is now roadworthy.

I hope that this gives you a little insight into this issue and why it is always good common sense and safety conscious to keep on top of MOT advisory fault notifications.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dear The Licencee,
I'm a brand new member to this forum and that was my first post, so, erm, thank you for the warm welcome...
I've not included a price because I don't know what it's worth as a rolling 'spares or repairs' car, but for the right buyer, they'll have a GTV numberplate, Teledials with good Pirelli tyres, a black leather interior, a stainless steel exhaust, plus any other parts they need.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I 'm impressed he took the time to write that out for you.......:sneaky:

I 've not looked at the fail sheet myself but with the teledials I would say its worth about £500 or thereabouts. Looks like the bones of a nice car though.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Dear The Licencee,
I'm a brand new member to this forum and that was my first post, so, erm, thank you for the warm welcome...
I've not included a price because I don't know what it's worth as a rolling 'spares or repairs' car, but for the right buyer, they'll have a GTV numberplate, Teledials with good Pirelli tyres, a black leather interior, a stainless steel exhaust, plus any other parts they need.
Welcome! I wouldn’t worry to much about the issues with your GTV. There are a lot of cars running around with modifications that would equally result in mot failures. Mine included. These cars are becoming increasingly rare so someone will want it. And the twinnie is a great engine.

You probably won’t be offered much for it on this forum - as devoted as they are, it comes with a price, a low one.

If you can possibly keep it and find the cash for the kitchen elsewhere, in the long run you will be better off - there are still parts about to restore it reasonably cheaply.

Good luck however, with whatever decision you make.

Years ago, I could afford a Ferrari, but I felt the money better spent on an extension. My wife said, “Buy the Ferrari “. I did the extension and my wife continually reminds me!

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I 'm impressed he took the time to write that out for you.......:sneaky:

I 've not looked at the fail sheet myself but with the teledials I would say its worth about £500 or thereabouts. Looks like the bones of a nice car though.
£500! The tele dials are worth that alone. Number Plate - £400 - £600. Say £1500 all in because whoever buys it knows what they have to do.

But, you won’t get far with your kitchen with that. Keep it!

Edit that, make it £2,000. Punters on this site always want top dollar for their “low mileage cars” - 120.000 plus miles - do me a favour. So it is about time they showed some real faith in the Marque, and paid a decent price for them when they buy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Scott1974T and sizewell for your welcomes and comments ☺
I know what you're both getting at, and I'm sure in time I will regret this, but I don't have the funds right now to make Alfie what he deserves to be. So I think it's time for someone else to enjoy him.
Really appreciate your thoughts on what you think he's worth, thank you both 👍

·
Vendor
45,288 Posts
£500! The tele dials are worth that alone. Number Plate - £400 - £600. Say £1500 all in because whoever buys it knows what they have to do.

But, you won’t get far with your kitchen with that. Keep it!

Edit that, make it £2,000. Punters on this site always want top dollar for their “low mileage cars” - 120.000 plus miles - do me a favour. So it is about time they showed some real faith in the Marque, and paid a decent price for them when they buy.
Its easier to sell a set of 17" teledials for £500 than to sell an MOT failure GTV twinspark with teledials for £500.

I won a spares/repairs GTV with teledials on it once for £220 on ebay, I rang a local scrap guy to come and pick it up from the address I was picking the car up from. I just paid for the car, whipped the wheels off & the seats out before the scrap man lifted it away with his Hiab. Got £100 scrap for it too, although you wouldn't get that these days. Cheapest set of teledials and Momo leather, possibly ever. The car & effort was a drag on the value of the wheels/seats, people generally don't want the hassle of a broken Alfa.

I've got a good running MOT'd phase 2 GTV 2.0 TS on an 03 plate which I reckon is worth about a grand, if anyone fancies it? Vela blue, but on 16"s rather than the 17" teledials.

·
Vendor
45,288 Posts
Why did you MOT it when the current MOT doesn't expire until the end of April?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why did you MOT it when the current MOT doesn't expire until the end of April?
I'd realised that to fund the additional work in the kitchen, I'd have to sell Alfie, so I took it for an MoT so that the new owner would have 12 months and be aware of any advisories.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts