Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2001 GTV which I have had since new. I have neglected it a little over the years and I am just making up for the fact now. I have read that the lambda sensor can deteriorate with age and ultimately need replacing. Is this the case? My car has 108k on the clock and has never had it done. Where is the best place to get a replacement sensor and it is something an enthusiastic amateur can do?

Apologies if this has been covered before and thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I replaced mine at about 80K as it was hard getting it through the MOT emissions. I bought mine from Just lambda online. Make sure you buy a Bosch one, don't buy a cheap ebay one as that is a waste of money. They are not always easy to remove as it obviouly get very hot where it fits into the down pipe before the cat. If you do it yourself tie the end of the old to the new one as the wire and plug connector are a devil to pull up at the back of the engine, or use an electricians bendy cable feeder if you have one. Otherwise pay the garage to do it for you.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
According to Bosch (the maker of the lambda probe) the lambda should be replaced every 160K Km ~ 100K Miles.

If you have two catalytic converters in the downpipe then you will need three lambda probes, two fuel regulating/pre-cat lambda (Alfa number 46762182 and Bosch 0258006376), and one diagnostic/post-cat
lambda (Alfa number 46786048 and Bosch 0258006411).

If you only have one catalytic converter under the car you will need a fuel regulating/pre-cat lambda
(Alfa number 46750241 and Bosch 0258006190).

Do a search on eBay with the Bosch numbers and you'll will probably find a lambda probe at a decent price.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks for the advice. No prob son the emissions with the last MOT but I'll put it on my to do list. I'll get under the car this weekend and see how many it has.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was delivered in March 2001 but I ordered it well before that as there was quite a long delay for delivery. I was told that the hold up was due to a problem with the supply of the car alarm. I'm guessing maybe when Meta upgraded the M99 to the M99 T2. I'll get under the bonnet this weekend and see what I can find in the way of cats.

Thanks for the help and advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts