Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.Hoping someone can offer some advice,have stripped down calliper cleaned and polished piston and inner bore of calliper,piston is now moving freely and will push back with fingers off car.Once back on the car with the new pads in contact with the new disc the brake sticks.Have cleaned the contact points where the pads contact the calliper and copasliped.I have even tried swopping a calliper from my other gtv and it does the same.The flexible brake pipe is a little cracked I will get another tomorrow could this be the problem or the abs unit? Regards Norfolk Jenni.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Had a similar issue last year! Turned out it was the ABS pump unit and really old brake fluid. It hadn't be changed for years. Autolusso replaced the pump (2nd hand unit) and flushed through the fluid, took a while but as good working just fine now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thankyou for the quick reply,I will change the flex brake pipe first as it's in a poor state,then look at the abs pump.regards Norfolk jenni

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
If the caliper moved freely both in and out before installation i would say its most likely your hydraulic circuit. As you have already stated Jenni, the replacement of the hoses is a good idea and a good time to replace and bleed the complete hydraulic fluid on all brake corners. If your ABS light is not flashing on your speedo i would relax about the ABS pump too.:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply,couldn't, get the new hoses today should be in tomorrow weather is awful tonight so cannot set up electric light up will have to be patient.Ps the abs lamp is not lit up on dashboard.regards jenni

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello all, Just a quick update my gtv is now fixed,it turned out to be the flexible brake pipe at the calliper,it was in poor condition and almost certainly the original.The pipe was restricting the flow of fluid and causing a pressure build up and holding the pads against the brake disc,thanks for everyones advice regards Norfolk Jenni.

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Good news Jenni, the original hoses appear to be a common problem at the mo as they reach what appears to be the end of their life cycle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts