Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have just bought a 10 year old GTV. It has 43k miles with a full Alfa service History. The Cam was done in Nov 06 (1 good thing I guess :) ).

But after taking it approx 80 miles yesterday, it has started to cough and splutter and lose performance. Now I am totally paranoid my first thought was Head Gaskett!! :cry:

Does anyone have any other ideas or had a similar problem??

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Air flow metre I would have thought...

·
Registered
462 Posts
Had a similar problem with mine about 20 miles into owning it!

Turned out to be a blown spark plug. Basically the top of plug had blown apart from the bottom.
As the car juddered, spat, shat, etc etc my first thought was the head gasket.
It wasn't.

For you though:

Did the temperature go right up? Did it overheat?
Have you seen any evidence of oil in the water or water in the oil (milky residue in the oil filler cap).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It didn't overheat but it got a bit hotter, in fairness we were sat in traffic for about 20 mins or so...

No milky residue as yet (that was something we checked straight off the bat) reason for that was my HG went in one of my previous cars so that was at least something I knew what to look for.

Took it out this morning and ran really well for about 15mins then started coughing again....

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Any more news on your car problems?

V

·
0 Posts
Could be a few things, check your air intake pipe has no splits, then pull the top cover off the engine and make sure the plugs are ok and no water or oil around them, also check for burn marks under the engine cover. thats for starters

1 - 8 of 8 Posts