Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all wanting to get back into an Alfa so I decide gtv or spider I would love v6 gtv but sadly over my 3.5k budget what is the way to go also JTS or T.spark
I had 156 T.spark and head gasket went so not sure about T spark again.
Thanks for opinions

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I have got one of each, both Twin sparks. The GTV is definitely the more practical of the two. While the back seats aren’t much use for adult passengers, my 4 year old grandson fits in with his seat no problem or for bags or cases. We travelled from Norfolk to Cornwall to get married and fitted in the wife’s dress, my uniform, all the flowers and enough clothes for a few days away. The Spider on the other hand is just a great fun car to drive, not that the GTV isn’t fun but you cannot beat the Spider on a summers day with the hood down.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your insight is there any guides in the forum on what to look for in these cars

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Thanks for your insight is there any guides in the forum on what to look for in these cars
This was written a few years ago but still worth a read...

It very much depends on what you want the car for, what your budget is for running costs and how mechanically minded you are. There are pros and cons to spending all your money on the best car you can find just as there’s is a lot to be said for buying cheap and keeping a few quid back for repairs and running costs. Luck will always play a big part as buying a 20 year old car will always be a bit of a gamble. I paid £750 for my Spider knowing it needed a new cambelt. It had a long MoT but I put it in for another and it passed with no advisories and plenty of compliments. I took it to a local Indy to get the belts done and they’ve were similarly complimentary. Since then I’ve had no major issues apart from a grinding going into 5th. In the end, the easiest way to sort it was a secondhand gearbox and I had a new clutch fitted at the same time. Everything else’s I've done myself... servicing and maintenance and sorting out a few hood issues etc.
V6s are generally more desirable and command a much higher price. The best twin sparks are usually cheaper than the lowest price V6s so there are definitely bargains to be had. Being able to do even the basics like an oil change will help keep costs down but there is a wealth wealth of experience in the Alfa community and always people willing to help out. I’d never done more than check the oil on my GTV before I joined this forum, now I’ve changed brake disks, steering wheels, gearbox oil, re-built front suspension and drive shafts/CV joints, re-set warning lights, changed shock absorbers and loads more thanks to the help I’ve had.

Reactions: Corkyd10
1 - 8 of 8 Posts