Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weekend before last I replaced my brake pads with the Autolusso supplied Performance Friction fast road pads. Was a straight forward job once the wheel bolts were off and then pushing the pistons back in to make room for the new pads.

Back to topic. After about 300 miles to bed them in I was at a whole day open pit track day in Abingdon Army barracks airfield.

Lots of run off and many corners were cones so all very safe.

Brakes were very good with biting increasing after a couple of corners and filled me with confidence. Was getting some tyre squeal after exiting the Apex but instructor said it was okay as not on the way in. I could reduce power on exit to quieten it down but felt no understeer or sliding.

Engine was strong powering out of the corners down the straights with no temperature issues, had a new oil cooler installed last year.

Only issue was after about 6 hard laps with the instructor I but my foot on the brake and it went to the floor with minimal lose of speed. Boiled the fluid. 10 minutes getting a briefing in the pit lane and brakes were back. I since did a cool lap after every 4 and would pit within 15 minutes for a break.

Loved the car, it was great out there. Can't wait to do it again.

First try with my Muvi camera attached to the passenger head rest. Will get a triple sucker mount next time and get more footage.

Alfa GTV 3.0 V6 Abingdon Airfield Track day June14 - YouTube

Alfa GTV 3.0 q2 gta clutch and flywheel, long life exhaust with one less box, pipercross air filter. Koni front srt shocks.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The bloke in the open wheeler wasn't driving it properly. My old caterham replica would corner better than that.
Looked like you had a good time there. Car looks like it handles really well

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Good stuff! Would like to do this at some point.

Two questions please:
How did you hear about that track day?
What is the part no. of the autolusso pads?

Thanks.

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
7,045 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
When was the last time you changed the brake fluid? An airfield track day has long enough straights to cool the brakes. When I raced/sprinted I always changed the fluid with every pad change. I did not find the expense of racing fluid was necessary.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lewrot;94256 My old caterham replica would corner better than that. [/QUOTE said:
There were a number of Caterhams and similar and driver skilled varied a lot. Some Caterhams would fly by, was a little Atom that blurred around the track too. Great fun.

Two questions please:
How did you hear about that track day?
What is the part no. of the autolusso pads?
Thanks.
Thanks to Ned jumping in there and I found and booked via
Abingdon Track Days with Trackdays.co.uk it was run by another company so the website seems to just advertise.

what brake fluid have you put in since the track day
Trackday was on Friday and after the cool down the brakes were strong again although believe boiling ruins the fluid so will change it in the next few weeks, probably a 4.1 via Opeio oils.

When was the last time you changed the brake fluid?.
I had the fluid changed 13 months ago although had a new slave cylinder a few months back and the clutch fluid is shared so maybe it was topped up with a low 3 not 4. I never had brake fade before but then again the new pads allowed me to brake harder and later.
My local indie did struggle as the rear brake nipples were seized so they only bleed from the front. I wonder if that is causing a problem.
Good point on the straights and cooling although even after a cool down lap I noticed the amount of heat coming of the brake/wheel area when in the pits after getting out. Could smell brakes from other cars too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts