Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all. Just got myself a 2000 GTV Lusso TS 16v 2 litre. Its a lovely car in great condition, low mileage, FSH and drives beautifully so im really pleased. Ive always wanted an Alfa so finally bit the bullet.

Few questions though -

1) going over speed bumps. If i try to straddle em (the small ones ) i get a horrid scraping noise from underneath.only did this once obviously!.. To get around this i have to drive with one wheel over em. Are GTVs normally that low underneath? It seems lower underneath (front to mid car i think) than the front spoiler.

2) when i start her up the air con seems to come on even if it was off previously and the climate control wasnt on..It turns off fine though.

3) The previous owner had a full service 2 months ago and on the advisery bit it had "slight oil leak from both steering rack gaiters". Will that be expensive to rectify and should it be done asap?

4) Lastly any good alfa garages in south london, surrey borders or near those areas?

Thanks very much

J

·
0 Posts
Hi to all. Just got myself a 2000 GTV Lusso TS 16v 2 litre. Its a lovely car in great condition, low mileage, FSH and drives beautifully so im really pleased. Ive always wanted an Alfa so finally bit the bullet.

Few questions though -

1) going over speed bumps. If i try to straddle em (the small ones ) i get a horrid scraping noise from underneath.only did this once obviously!.. To get around this i have to drive with one wheel over em. Are GTVs normally that low underneath? It seems lower underneath (front to mid car i think) than the front spoiler.

2) when i start her up the air con seems to come on even if it was off previously and the climate control wasnt on..It turns off fine though.

3) The previous owner had a full service 2 months ago and on the advisery bit it had "slight oil leak from both steering rack gaiters". Will that be expensive to rectify and should it be done asap?

4) Lastly any good alfa garages in south london, surrey borders or near those areas?

Thanks very much
welcome to AO :wave:

1) Yes the GTV is a low slung car as a result you may have to take care when straddling speed bumps

2) My 156 does this occasionally, still trying to suss out what causes it

3 & 4 i would have ask the question in the London/SE Lounge London/SE lounge someone in there may be able to help :thumbs:

J

·
0 Posts
1...its prob the engine tray?its a plastic sheet that covers the undernath of the engine to provide protection from such things....iv taken mine off after a speed bump knocked a few screws out! not had any probs since with speed bumps...

Welcome by the way! :p

·
Registered
261 Posts
The aircon will come on automatically if the set temp is below the ambient temp, there is a way to take it off auto but I've not done it. What I used to do with my old V6 was start it and before the compressor kicks in, switch of the a/c if it's not needed. My GTA seems to stay off if I left it like that.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
The aircon will come on automatically if the set temp is below the ambient temp, there is a way to take it off auto but I've not done it. What I used to do with my old V6 was start it and before the compressor kicks in, switch of the a/c if it's not needed. My GTA seems to stay off if I left it like that.
Yep, annoying when winding the windows down is all you need. I understand it is auto too but was not aware you could disable this function. I would love to know how!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cheers for the welcomes and the aircon answers. Any one know anything about question 3) The previous owner had a full service 2 months ago and on the advisery bit it had "slight oil leak from both steering rack gaiters". Will that be expensive to rectify and should it be done asap?

Will get some pics of my alfa up once i get time..Its a great drive just got to get used to the pedals being fairly closeish togeather. Still its lucky ive only got medium feet!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Are you sure it's not had lowering springs fitted? Mine can straddle those little square speed bumps no problem. Maybe the speed bumps in our area aren't as high as yours though! :)

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Mine used to scrape speed bumps. Turned out it wasn't fixed properly at the rear of the plastic engine shield. Looked fine at the front but sagged at the rear. I tend to avoid straddling mini speed bumps and use the go slow one wheel on the centre of the hump and one on the road approach. It doesn't graunch at all.

Have you checked the plastic cover?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just looked this up, page 107. See 'switching compressor control from automatic to manual'.
just read that, complicated or what! By the sounds of it because ive kept the temp dial all the way to the left (as in i want it the coldest) it automatically turns the compressor on even tho its not on the auto setting and in the off position 0. So in theory if i leave the temp say half way then start the car in theory it shouldnt kick the air con on. Thats my theory will try it out later

re:the speed bumps - will def get the car on a ramp soon and check out the plastic scuff protecter..thanks for all your advice

i might stick my original question 3 as a new thread in case someone knows the answer to that one straight away, failing that will ring up a few places.

cheers

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Welcome......try Rusper Alfa for repairs on your car they are great. What colour is your GTV....lets see some pics. Where roughly in Surrey are you, ill look out for you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Regarding question 2 I think I read somewhere on a forum a while ago that the A/C comes on when you start the car even if the temp settings don't really require just to turn the compressor over. Other wise the compressor my not get used for six months(or more in this country) and be more likely to seize.
Seems logical!?!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Welcome squashed pea :) ...you'll find anything you need on here re: Alfas, hope you got the engine protector shield sorted!, mines fine but always scrapes over speed bumps... pain in the ****!, been ticked off by the boys in blue many times as i drive around them hehe!. All the best. BARONI:cool:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts