Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I've got an Alfa GTV TS , which apart from the usual maintenance has been fine , Its a great car, I love it. However it has been parked up for a few months and putting it back on the road she was fine ........................for the first 5-10 mins. Then the car misfired badly , It isn't the MAF its only 18months old and its Bosch , I have cleaned it as a matter of course. As soon as the car reaches "operating temperature" she begins to misfire. I haven't changed anything yet but am considering changing the Temperature sensor. Could this be faulty and not telling the ignition system that the car is at its running temp and consequently she begins to run very rich? Fuel consumption is an absolute joke and she runs like a Trabant on paraffin, she starts fine and initially runs as well as ever and just when you think its solved its own problem::mad:

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
Do you get a fault light up? It could be so many things including Lambda.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Does it run fine at higher revs >3K? If so then probably lambda. But as usual best to get any error codes read before spending any cash :)

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Dodgy spark plugs give up the ghost when they get hot.. they usually start to misfire on acceleration/under load.. once warmed up.. As the others said ..could be many things.. I'd check the plugs first..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The car isnt as lumpy at higher revs but is obviously underpowered. I dont have any indication on the dash of anhy faults, still scratching my head and testicles....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for response , had the errors read, temp sensor came up so I replaced , still the same if not worse !!! So much for computer technology:rolleyes: Took your advice and checked plugs , both plugs on No 1 pot in bad way others obviously been replaced prior to me owning , although I have had her some time , I should have checked the plugs before!! Runs as good as she ever has . thanks . Still using a lot of fuel though!!!

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Good work dgogroup!!

Seems strange to me that #1 cylinders were buggered and all the rest look nice... what did they look like?

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Unfortunatley there are cheapskates out there who replace one plug at a time.. cheapest thing to check first re. fuel consumption is the air filter.. when was it last changed??

·
Registered
13,050 Posts
Still using a lot of fuel though!!!
A dead thermostat can often produce this sort of result, especially if it takes a long time to warm up.

What temperature does it run at? If it's not around the 85 degree mark, then it is time to replace it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
plugs were badly corroded, probably never have been changed! With regards to temp, she is running cool , i am getting heat from the heater but even with this off it isn't reaching anywhere near 85- 90 degrees, think i'll check thethermostat. Something to do this week :(

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Phase one.. temperature guage should be just a few mm above the intermediate mark..which is about 84ish..when running at speed.. rising to 90ish in traffic.. stat opens at 82..

phase two is around 88ish.. stat opens at 87 rising to 90ish in traffic..

I'd still check that air filter though..they are only about a tenner..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts