Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2004 Ph3 GTV is just coming up to 90k miles,if all servicing is carried out correctly ,belts etc, and at the recommended intervals,how many miles are we looking at before potential problems start arising,i've seen some cars with over 130k miles still going strong ,just interested...had the car almost a year and still loving it!:D

·
Registered
89 Posts
Mileage

134000 here, going strong (mines a 3.0, not a TS though..) - seems a shame, but I'll be getting rid soon..

As long as they are serviced correctly, and the important stuff is fixed before it causes problems then these are good for plenty of miles...

Make sure you do the suspension and bushes... this helps to keep the car feeling tight and keeps it clunk/rattle free...

·
Registered
873 Posts
Just sold my GTV with 132,000 miles on. No problems with it although the previous owner had to pay for a new headgasket at 124,000 miles (cost £1,100!).

·
Registered
13,044 Posts
The silver flash did 116,000 and then went bang.

The current one will hit 110,000 in the next week or so.

·
Registered
386 Posts
My head gasket went at around 85k. Last 2 years have been just servicing and a temp sensor (tires and brakes too) and just 3k short of 100,000 miles :)

Previously had gta clutch installed and power-flexed rear.

Battery died a few weeks back but that was my fault.

Nice to hear of the 100k + cars :)

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Mine smells strongly of oil when turning hard right corners right now... think I overfilled the oil slightly... at least I hope thats all it is!!

·
Registered
13,044 Posts
Mine smells strongly of oil when turning hard right corners right now... think I overfilled the oil slightly... at least I hope thats all it is!!

You may have something like a broken cam cover, or leaky gasket. The cam cover was broken on the silver flash and every time I tackled a roundabout enthusiastically, I would smell oil about 10-15 seconds later. I think it was dropping on to the exhaust manifold.

Only 4,000 miles to go!

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
170,000 on mine. She was 168 ish when the cam belt failed (that's how I got her) and has now had an engine rebuild.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Surprisingly my red one's in miles - 143,870 - a lot more than the 100,100km of my yellow one.

Same sort of >10yr-old-car maintenance required on both - split inner CV boots, rotten exhaust, stiff clutch, window adjustments, etc. I feel that mileage is less significant than general condition. My 156 is pretty mint but it's done 261,000km. On the other hand I know a 156 which has done 75,000km and it's a total lemon - can hardly keep going for three months between major bouts of attention.

I've never 'broken down' in any Alfa Romeo, but 15 years ago my driving instructor's Toyota Corolla wouldn't start after I stalled it on a roundabout :lol:

-Alex

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
My 2004 Ph3 GTV is just coming up to 90k miles,if all servicing is carried out correctly ,belts etc, and at the recommended intervals,how many miles are we looking at before potential problems start arising,i've seen some cars with over 130k miles still going strong ,just interested...had the car almost a year and still loving it!:D
My 124k 2.0TS was dynoed at 154bhp standard set up at the time except a sports cat back exhaust, I guess the cat back added 2bhp at best, sadly after another 20k she was written off in a freak garage accident but was going strong up until then, the point being that at 124k the engine was making 4bhp more than ALFA said it should!, as with most relatively modern engines if you change the oil regularly they will do 250k plus, the days of 100k and its worn out are long past.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ahh... guys, guys, guys.
My 3.0 W reg has just passed 175000 and has always started and never given me any serious problems. It's like a Toyota in terms of reliability.
...hopefully not famous last words!

·
Registered
897 Posts
107,00 miles , started every time in past 4 years , so second that on reliabilty ,best car ever , well best i ever purchased so far .

·
Registered
13,044 Posts
107,00 miles , started every time in past 4 years , so second that on reliabilty ,best car ever , well best i ever purchased so far .
This is true and always on the first turn of the key. in fact the only time that either of my Alfas has failed to start is when the starter motor went (and obviously the day the silver flash died :cry:).

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
my 2.0 ts 147 was serviced as regular as clockwork from new and gave up at 143k

·
Registered
20 Posts
Higher Mileages

Ahh... guys, guys, guys.
My 3.0 W reg has just passed 175000 and has always started and never given me any serious problems. It's like a Toyota in terms of reliability.
...hopefully not famous last words!
My 3 litre Lusso has done 161K, thought that was high :)

Regular oil changes and cambelt and I have been told they are good for 190K maybe more.

Who said Alfa's are unreliable?!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts