Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've owned my 2003 GTV 2.0 JTS Lusso fo six months now.......... It's a great car, fun to drive, relatively comfortable on a long run, turns a head or two and I love it...........

But, and there always seem to be one............ I can't help thinking the GTV was a bit "chucked together" and has a design "afterthought" or two.........

The door windows are too tall for the doors and don't retract all the way down.......... so if you want to rest your elbow on the door top in get's uncomfortable.

The boot release is in a silly position, and the glovebox door is spring loaded so not only does it "eat your hand" when you try to operate it......... getting anything out of it or putting anything in there is a *****!!

There is no "acc" on the ignition switch........

No parking light function

The sunvisors are not worth having

The gearchange is a bit of a "soupbowl" ..... On a sports coupe they could have put a more "positive" feel into it........ 'er indoors has a Cooper S and that has the absolute best sport gearchange in it........

When you use the wash/wipe.......... The water p*sses along the side window......... and there is no "single wipe" function.......

There's no "cup holder" for my coffee

Changing a headlamp bulb is a major mission

.............and the lock on the steering is rubbish when you are trying to get into a parking space in any car park ........... Makes me look like a girl trying to park !!!!! ........... again the cooper has a great steering setup and that's front wheel drive as well..........

But I guess that all adds to the character of the car ????

Cheers To All

Peter

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Alfas are designed by passionate people with an edge on style, not practicality.
CUP HOLDER! shame on you :D

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I agree a single wipe function on the wipers would be good. My old corsa had it.

Do you not just press the little black butoon on the ignition to turn the parking lights on?

Lets be honest.....none of this matters....its the best thing to come out of a Pininfarina design studio this side of Ferrari.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree a single wipe function on the wipers would be good. My old corsa had it.

Do you not just press the little black butoon on the ignition to turn the parking lights on?

Lets be honest.....none of this matters....its the best thing to come out of a Pininfarina design studio this side of Ferrari.
..........Tell me about this little black button thing ?????

Cheers
Peter

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alfas are designed by passionate people with an edge on style, not practicality.
CUP HOLDER! shame on you :D
......... I drink a lot of coffee !!!..........and putting it in the thingy under the armrest is impractical........

1. It's usually full of stuff

2. Nail it!!!......and the cup falls over ergo...... coffee every where.

......A cup holder isn't a big theing to either ask for or design into a dash is it ????

Cheers To All
Peter

·
Registered
73 Posts
There is a little black button, the same as the fiats, you press it and turn the key the other way and badda bing badda boom on come the parking lights. i didnt find the headlamp buld change too bad, did it all in two cigarette breaks at work. the 1 i most agree on is the sunvisors, i cant help but think they built the car and finished everything and thought "o rollocks, we forgot the sunvisors, i think i may have a solution but dont know how much of a help it will be to you, my gtv is blue so i was thinkin to get a blue translucent sunstrip on there, therefore solving the problem of a low sun yet, not reducing the size of the letter box of a windscreen

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Parking lights....... turn the keys backwards and hold the black button in on the ignition barrel. Same for most Fiats/Alfas from the 1990s.

Cup holders...... its a sports car - not an American family wagon.

Steering Lock....... thats what you get for having the fastest steering rack available in a production car at the time.

I thought changing the bulbs on the GTV/Spider was pretty easy.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is a little black button, the same as the fiats, you press it and turn the key the other way and badda bing badda boom on come the parking lights. i didnt find the headlamp buld change too bad, did it all in two cigarette breaks at work. the 1 i most agree on is the sunvisors, i cant help but think they built the car and finished everything and thought "o rollocks, we forgot the sunvisors, i think i may have a solution but dont know how much of a help it will be to you, my gtv is blue so i was thinkin to get a blue translucent sunstrip on there, therefore solving the problem of a low sun yet, not reducing the size of the letter box of a windscreen
I'll give the little black button a go..........thanks to all........

There I've learned something already................ and maybe a grey strip on my black GTV might be an idea.

Cheers to all
Peter

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
......I'd still like a cup holder :)

Cheers to All
Peter

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Cup holder! - You can get one that hangs over the the door card, fitting into the window recess. If you must - 99p or so from Tesco.

There you go - Sorted ;)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Passengers used to mention the different textured materials (e.g. airbag cover compared to main dash)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Ahaaa! Learned so much from this thread. Firstly just as ignorant about the little black button,must have a go at it now. Also the flatter finish on the airbag cover doesnt match the rest of th dash.Always wondered if the car had an nasty experience of some sort and the airbag had seen some action and damaged

Enlightened:thumbs:

M

·
0 Posts
Get the passenger with too much time on her hands and noticing the different fabrics to hold the coffee cup. Sorted.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I also liked the way the washer jets were attached to the wiper blades...maybe an afterthought, or maybe a way of preventing any unsightly additions to the bonnet.

Also the way the front footwell starts high from the seat and then dips massively towards the pedals.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
the italians dont wash the windscreen, just the side windows so all the bella donnas can see exactly who's steering the thing..
but they forgot about the cupholders for their piccolos...silly italians:p

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The washer jets on the wiper blades at least prevents the "barry boys" from putting the little led washer jets on the bonnets........but then I guess the Barry boys prefer sierra's and xr3i's..........

and I forgot to include in my original post................. the acce;erator pedal is a bit high and makes my ankle ache on lonfg journeys......

Cheers to All
Peter

1 - 20 of 22 Posts