Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

2 months of pure pleasure and now this.

I parked my flawless GTV in the evening, the next day when I turned the key, it souded like and old diesel on a cold morning. Also the little red injector came on.

It was absolutelly fine when I came home and the loud rattle appeard as soon as I turned the key the next day. It has been like this for 2 days. I just started it a couple of times to see if starter motor has seized up somehow but no success.

GTV '99 - 2.0 TS

Any ideas?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Could it be the variator has gone duff? Does it stopp ratteling after 4 mins or so?

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
My initial thoughts are variator too - not sure why the injector light would come on too though :confused:

A

·
0 Posts
Be very wary about running it again. It could be the variator packed up or something like a bearing about to collapse on the cam belt tensioner etc, which could be a disaster about to happen. If it were mine it would be on a trailer into the garage just to be safe.:(

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I changed belts and tensioners last month.

Haven't tried running it for 4 minutes. I'm a bit scared something else might go.

Doesn't variator die slowly. My rattle appeared the moment I turned the key. Day before, car was absolutelly fine.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
If these negatives keep flying in Alfafamily, I might have to consider going German or Jap. What do you reckon? These variators don't seem to be very durable do they?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had 33 16v for six years without a problem. I still belive it all comes down to previous owner. Last owner of GTV was horrible (late on cam belt change, rear bushes, broken ash tray, broken temp sensor, ...), but I wanted novola color, and now I'm paying for it. At least I got it cheap (for Slovenian market) so I'm still under 8.000 € limit ... for now.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Alfaspider, my sentiments exactly. Off thread, but may be of interest, took the guy's at one of my haunts,yonks to get a crankshaft sorted on a WW2 Tiger Panzerkampfwagen. Did it in the end, determination, plus some good German engineering I believe.

A

·
0 Posts
If these negatives keep flying in Alfafamily, I might have to consider going German or Jap. What do you reckon?
I have confession to make here I'm afraid, we (me and wife that is) have never run an Alfa as our main car. I use my 146ti as a runabout, GTv for weekend fun when I can get it off eldest son, who is currently car less after a disaster with his Gtv ts. Its the automatic thing with the wife,she don't fancy a selespeed and proper auto 166 are a bit juicy.Having said that her Merc has just bit us big time with gear box trouble. So, like a good few on here Alfas are our fun cars I'm afraid,still love 'em though.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Get the point Alfafamily, and why not? Our retiring General, had a beautiful Mercedes staff car I noticed, very applicable when he visited The Regiment in Fallingbostel, Deutschland.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Alfaspider, Don't take this the wrong way but you have checked the oil level?

I have no experience with the 2TS but from what I gather when the variator goes they sound like a DRV taxi but the noise should disappear after a few mins, unless it completely goosed. Think there is a valve on the top of the engine which controls the oil flow to it. This is operated by the eletrics. You could disconnect it and see if the noise stays the same or gets worse to try and eliminate that part.

Regards

·
Registered
38,271 Posts
I hate to sound negative but it sounds more serious than just the variator. I had a similar problem on a 164, the car sounded like a diesel truck after starting up and it tuned out to be a crank failure.

My car also threw up the warning light due to the fact it would only run on 3 cylinders. There were also particles of metal visible on the dipstick.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I agree with concenous... cam variator.
from buyers guide: "...particularly when starting from cold, there can sometimes be a diesel type rattle from the 2.0l engines, this is the cam variator and should be replaced when doing the cam belt"

I had it with my 2.0TS 156 - sounded like a london cab, until I had the variator done..

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
But I never suspected cam belts would snap 1 month after change... Guess at first belt jumped for a tooth or soo, tried to run it one more time today and Bella died after few seconds. When I turned the key again only starter motor turned. Hope my mechanic will take some blame for this...

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
:eek: Good luck :(

·
Registered
299 Posts
Alfaspider, Have I missed a post here? Are you saying the cam belt has anapped and if so how do you know?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts