Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone changed the water pump in a 2.0 JTS GTV?

I've just done the cam belt and balance belt, replaced the water pump too, just started the car and it looks like it's leaking around the water pump, everything was clean when it went back together, but I noticed the old one has sealant around it.....

It was a genuine pump, didn't have a gasket, just the rubber O-ring.

I noticed when I removed the water pump bolts that one had coolant pouring out of the hole it was removed from.
I put liquid PTFE on the bolts when I re-assembled everything.

Just wondered if anyone had done one themselves and were there any tips?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
There shouldn't be any sealant or a gasket, just the o-ring as far as I know. You need to lubricate the o-ring with rubber grease or similar so it doesn't get damaged when you fit it in the hole. The sealant you saw was probably dried up rubber grease.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that, didn't think I'd missed something out, I did find the problem cause today.......

The previous owner had damaged the water pump mating surface, where the O-ring slots into the head.

The black stuff was sealant, evidently they had the same leak as me, but instead of removing the water pump and sorting it, they just bodged some silicone sealant in!

When I fitted the new pump the burr that probably damaged the original O-ring, totally cut through mine :paranoid:
It's all smooth now, but my O-ring is kaput :depressed:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts