Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this morning I turned the lights on and the instrument panel lights did not come on (including fuel gauge etc..). I have used the wheel to brighten the background lighting and nothing happens. Looking at the manual the fuses for these lights are fuse no.10 and 18, which look OK (but are not the same amperage as the book). Has anyone any ideas if the these are the right fuses as I am not confident in the hand book! Also any ideas what this could be except fuse \ relay?

BTW its a 54 plate 3.2 GTV

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone got any ideas before I take it to the garage to let them charge me through the nose?

Help would be appreciated

Thanks

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
sorry chap all i could think was the fuses. if they are the wrong amp would they blow all bulbs?? try the correct fuse its a cheap try b4 the garage get it

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,370 Posts
sorry chap all i could think was the fuses. if they are the wrong amp would they blow all bulbs?? try the correct fuse its a cheap try b4 the garage get it
A wrongly rated fuse either too high or too low would NOT cause any damage to the bulbs, the only effect would be that if rated too low the fuse would blow, if too high no real protection given to the wiring, which is something you don't want, never ever just keep putting bigger fuses in, tears before the Fire Brigade arrive.

No great ideas about the problem but one possibility could be the Potentiometer/ Rheostat ( bulb dimming wheel ) has gone open circuit. Should be fairly easy to remove this from the system and check it with an Ohmmeter and/or short the connections out which should bring the lights on at full bright if indeed this is the problem. Take care though, don't short out the wrong connections.....

Good luck.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to let you know, this was the Dimmer switch (the rolling switch) that was faulty. All I need to sort out now is a new fuse box as the heated rear window fuse has melted and can not be removed which is a pain. Oh the joys of Italian electrics!

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,370 Posts
Just to let you know, this was the Dimmer switch (the rolling switch) that was faulty. All I need to sort out now is a new fuse box as the heated rear window fuse has melted and can not be removed which is a pain. Oh the joys of Italian electrics!
:thumbs: Good result, thought that the dimmer was most likely the problem as it's common to everything and if you do dim the lights has constant " wear " on it.

Shame about the Fuse Box though, you sure you can't remove the melted blob that was the fuse ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts