Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Accelerating reasonably hard along the motorway, my GTV V6 seemed to hesitate for a second, and the injector light came on. I came off the motorway at the next exit, and stopped and restarted it a couple of times in the hope that something would reset itself, but no change.

The symptoms are that when you press the accelerator nothing much happens for 2-3 seconds, then it runs fine. It doesn't matter what revs the car is doing, if you ease off the throttle and then back on, it does nothing for these 2-3 seconds and then runs perfectly. Once you're past the initial lag, it revs freely, just as normal.

A quick search suggests maybe throttle pot, so hopefully not a huge problem.

The disappointing thing is that it was near the start of a 3-hour journey, so to be on the safe side we came home and took the 147 instead which means this is the first time in my thirteen years of owning Alfas that I've not been able to complete my journey. :( When people find out I own Alfas and start to bang on about how unreliable they are, I've been childishly proud of being able to say that none of mine has ever let me down. Until now. Still, hopefully a cheap and quick fix - it's booked into the garage on Tuesday.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Let us know how you get on :)

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
It might also be the air flow meter. Try taking it off and see if the problem goes away.

A

·
0 Posts
I currently have the same problem on my GTV.
I went to see a guy i know at the garage round the corner he also said it could be the throttle potentiometer. When plugged into the lap top its likely to come back with an error code saying unknown throttle position or something like that.
Not got my car at the minute so not been able to have a look.
Let us know if you manage to sort it though - likewise i will keep you posted i i find out what is up with mine

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
andyroo75 said:
I currently have the same problem on my GTV.
I went to see a guy i know at the garage round the corner he also said it could be the throttle potentiometer. When plugged into the lap top its likely to come back with an error code saying unknown throttle position or something like that.
Not got my car at the minute so not been able to have a look.
Let us know if you manage to sort it though - likewise i will keep you posted i i find out what is up with mine
There's a thread on another forum where a couple of guys have had the exact same problem, and fixed it themselves by unplugging and remaking the connections on the throttle pot - their description of the symptoms was exactly what I experienced, so that's what I'm hoping for.

We'll see tomorrow when it gets plugged into the diagnostics, and I'll update you.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Check the water level before you do anything else...a low water level (due to a leak) made my light come on.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took the car to the garage this morning. The injector light stayed on once the engine had started (I normally always wait until both it and the code light have gone out before starting) but it went out after the engine had been running for ten seconds or so, and the car is now running perfectly.

Hopefully it will have stored the error code somewhere, because at the moment there's nothing for them to fix!

R

·
0 Posts
The error should be stored anyway, if the light lights up it means there's a fault that's present at self test (for example if you unplug the MAF the light will be lit). Then if the fault disappears (when you plug the MAF back in) it will extinguish the light but save the fault in the ECU memory for future diagnostics.

I know for certain this is true on the later models (on my 2000 V plate 156 it does this) not sure about the earlier ones though.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:confused: garage reckons there's no fault code recorded? It's an early PII from 98 if that makes any difference.

R

·
0 Posts
Well I wouldn't worry too much about it then, hopefully just a glitch. Take it back if it happens again.

A

·
0 Posts
All sounds to familiar!
It is an intermittent problem on mine. It can go for weeks without doing it, then all of a sudden it will start again.
i might have a fiddle around with the pot when i get my car back. Maybe a loose or corroded connection.
Wishful thinking but hey....

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Picked mine up yesterday. Turns out there was a fault code recorded, but no fault showing currently - I guess I picked them up wrong over the phone.

Anyway, it's running fine just now so no point worrying about it until the next time, or maybe never. :)

R

·
0 Posts
Could well have been a loose connection or some such. Did they say what the recorded fault was?

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
robf781 said:
Could well have been a loose connection or some such. Did they say what the recorded fault was?
The invoice says "Error code 220 recorded but not present now, delete fault codes & recheck, clean & secure connections at pedal" which sounds to be pretty much all they could do, without there actually being any fault while they were looking at it.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
robf781 said:
Wonder what 220 means? Anyone?
How much money it will cost to fix - if you're lucky :(

:) :D :lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts