Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

As you may have seen, I recently bought Headgasket14's V6 GTV and a nice honest little car it is.

When I viewed the car, we found the heater had stopped working much to the owners surprise but knowing how much I love fault finding, I decided I would still buy her and hunt the fault.

First port of call after fuses/power testing was to pull the fan, soon found the fan drain hole blocked and emptied half a pint of water from here (seals to be checked next). See photo below, believe it or not, I have managed to clean this up and revive it!!

However it has burnt out the resistor, new s/h one on the way and hopefully that's job number 1 done!!

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Glad I'm not the only one fault finding in my first week of GTV V6 ownership! You mention drain holes, where and how do you check? May aswell make sure they are clear on mine.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Glad I'm not the only one fault finding in my first week of GTV V6 ownership! You mention drain holes, where and how do you check? May aswell make sure they are clear on mine.
I am fault finding in the first week with my V6 Spider. My heater fan blows the fuse! Fan coming out at the weekend.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi all

I checked all the drain holes in the scuttle area and also found a perfect 2mm hole in the base of the fan shroud, the plastic dome on the fan as you look up from the footwell. I have seen them before, I may be a sneaky drill hole but looks quite factory.

If you look closely in the photo you'll see it in the plastic shroud.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is in the passenger foot well, in between the fan and bulkhead, 2 No 5.5mm hex head bolts hold it in place with a two wire connector and a 4 'boot lace' wire connector.

They are the same as most Alfas of that era and the Renault Laguna 2.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Sneaky drill hole is presumably done to be able to grease a squealing fan bearing with WD40 or similar, water ingress to the fan may be the lack of a cover over the fresh air duct intake or that the cover don't seal properly.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Wow! Well done on finding that. I was absolutely mortified when the fan didn't come on, and thats what happens when you have cars just lying about for months in the winter, nothing gets moving and stuff gets clogged up. Glad you got it sorted out. You'll be a little warmer on the next trip out in her.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
you do know for around £1.00 (one) you can purchase a resister from maplin and repair the resister you are talking about

and secondly there is a plastic trim that`s under the plastic scuttle panel below the wiper arm and that plastic is there to protect it against moisture / rain ect...................check its in place or it will continue letting in water

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers Brad, I will have a look under the scuttle for the seal.

As for the resistor, it is not a straight heater resistor so your proposed option unfortunately can't be used. I have opened up the resistor pack and the PCB is total fried!!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Sorted mine now. The fan was seized - probably causing the fuse to blow. When I freed it up, the fan would not stop - ran on speed 4 even without the engine on. Fitted the replacement speed controller I had bought and all is now well. Climate control working perfectly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It is in the passenger foot well, in between the fan and bulkhead, 2 No 5.5mm hex head bolts hold it in place with a two wire connector and a 4 'boot lace' wire connector.

They are the same as most Alfas of that era and the Renault Laguna 2.
thanks for that - useful to know!!

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Cheers Brad, I will have a look under the scuttle for the seal.

As for the resistor, it is not a straight heater resistor so your proposed option unfortunately can't be used. I have opened up the resistor pack and the PCB is total fried!!

sorry i was talking about PH1 guess its a diferent resister pack then for others

sent a pic of (my) resister pack and the plastic cover in place under the scuttle panel

Attachments

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
New S/H digital resistor PCB landed in the post today and fitted, fan drained of water (from sitting outside) and cleaned throughly...... I can finally drive without a coat, hat and thick socks :)

Next job, top engine mount

Reactions: Headgasket14

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
top engine mount steadies the whole drive train expect a huge difference in gear change and you will be able to drive in 1st gear at idle 3mph and not be suffering from "shunt"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts